Please sign in to post.

Credit card PIN numbers

Leaving for Europe (Great Britain Portugal, Spain) on the 6/4 and do not have PIN numbers for my credit cards.

Comments???

Posted by
19461 posts

Odds are you will never be asked for a PIN. I live in Europe, travel a bit around the region. I can not remember the last time i had to use a PIN. Years probably.

Posted by
7775 posts

Are you renting a car, and therefore needing to refuel it? In England last month (without a car rental), we charged purchases at stores, restaurants, Underground and Overground trains, and buses on our VISA and never needed to enter a PIN. Unattended, automated gas dispensers have wanted a PIN in the past, but if the gas station has an attendant, we’ve been able to ring up the gas purchase with a human, avoiding the need for a PIN. In Italy, also last month ( I know, that’s neither Portugal nor Spain, but for what it’s worth), we needed gas on a holiday when staff at every station in the entire country was off, but we used our Debit card that did have a PIN.

Unless you’re planning to use your credit card to withdraw cash from an ATM, which will incur costly “cash advance” fees, or to get fuel from an unattended gas station, no need for a PIN.

Posted by
494 posts

I have a chip and sign card. Most of the time I can just tap it for contactless payment, but if it's a larger amount it prompts for a signature. I have never had an issue anywhere.

Posted by
4416 posts

A few years ago on an RS tour I was on, someone had to come to the rescue of another tour member who took a cab to the airport, but the cab's debit machine was chip and pin. Luckily the other tour member was nearby and had also just gotten out of a cab and saved the day.

Posted by
2360 posts

I get asked for my PIN whenever I do a cash withdrawal (rare) and whenever I use my card for a large purchase. Where I just tap my card I get asked for my pin occasionally as well. Especially if I use my card rapidly in succession in different shops.

I suppose that right now in Europe signatures are still accepted, but that may change. So I would advise everyone to get a PIN for their cards.

Posted by
919 posts

We've been refused fuel at a self-service station without a PIN, even upon going to the manned kiosk. But we were able to use our ATM (debit) card, which of course has a PIN. The vast majority of transactions will be fine using a normal card, especially if it has contactless capability.

Posted by
15991 posts

Most U.S. credit cards are chip and signature. Contactless is catchin up. If you do get a pin, it's for cash withdrawal.

Unless you are renting a car and need the pin for fuel, you'll be fine. More importantly make sure your cards are contactless.

Posted by
1111 posts

marte48,
As a 40 year bank employee, I recommend getting a pin for your credit card, just in case. It doesn't cost anything. Contact your bank or card company and tell them you want a four digit pin. You can probably choose your own, as I did. They will have some protocol for setting one up. Then you have no worries, and you can be prepared in the rare event you need one.

Posted by
494 posts

WengenK, if it's a chip and signature card, the PIN is for cash withdrawals only - otherwise for larger transactions it will prompt for a signature. I do travel with a chip and PIN card with me just in case, but have never had to use it.