Please sign in to post.

Cordoba or Granada?

Need advice, Cordoba or Granada
I am struggling with how to get back to Madrid (where our flight leaves) from Lagos Portugal. I would like to stop over in Cordoba or Granada on the way back. I have been to Seville before, so I know I would need to take a 3-4 hour bus to Seville/Huelva from Lagos, and then another train to either place. Granada (my first choice) is a 3 hour train Seville, and then we would need to take another 5 hour train back to Madrid. My husband says this is crazy and too much travel. Has anyone made this journey? Are buses and trains in Europe just as bad as a plane? To Cordoba the trip is a little better. Only 3 hour bus To Huelva and 2.5 hours to Cordoba, and only 1.5 hours back to Madrid. Any advice is appreciated:) Thanks

Posted by
799 posts

How long would you have to spend in either Cordoba or Granada? Just overnight? If that's the case, I would agree with your husband, a lot of travel time for not much vacation / enjoyment time. Granada, of course, has the Alhambra, and that is an amazing place. The town, however, I didn't like as much as we liked Cordoba. It was the Moorish Spain, and in addition to the Mezquita, which I like as much as I liked the Alhambra, there are a bunch of other sites and sights in Cordoba. So given the travel time, I'd vote for Cordoba. (Or more time in Lagos or Madrid, and visit Andalusia on a separate trip.)

Posted by
136 posts

We will have two or three nights to spend. I am glad to hear Cordoba is just as nice as Granada. Thanks!

Posted by
23548 posts

We have different opinion about sites. I don't think Cordoba compares with Granada. It is at best an overnight or a long afternoon stay. The Mezquita is a two hour visit and the Alhambra is all day. Both locations played very different roles in Spanish/Moorish history. However, since Cordoba is on the train line back to Madrid, I would chose that and save Granada for another time. Have you consider flying out of Malaga? That would solve your travel time problem.

Posted by
136 posts

Okay, so I think most people are agreeing Granada is a must. I was just wondering if I was crazy to travel that many hours to get there. And back to MAD. I was worried about travelling almost 8 hours in one day to see Granada. Thanks

Posted by
136 posts

So I guess my real question is if Granada is worth the extra 13 hours of travel back to Madrid vs 7 hours for Cordoba. We already have our flight booked out of MAD. Is a four hour bus ride and three hour train ride in one day rough?
Thanks

Posted by
3255 posts

I think you are adding up the travel times wrong. You have the Huelva bus ride in either case. From there your choice is Cordoba or Granada, right? cordoba is a bit shorter but Granada is worthier of 2-3 nights. The travel time back to Madrdi differs by about 3 hours: 1.75 hours from Cordoba, 4.5 to 5 from Granada. You would be doing that on a different day than the travel from Portugal so it is not 13 hours all at once. The trains are very comfortable. Why not one night in Cordoba, and then move to Granada for the extra one or two nights? Try to make it 2 if you can.

Posted by
6788 posts

I'm with Frank on this. Cordoba is a worthwhile stop - the Mezquita is a pretty amazing place and I think it's not to be missed. Fortunately, you can easily "do" it in just a few hours as an efficient 1/2 stop on the high speed rail line between Sevilla and Madrid. It's easy, it's well worth a stop, but there's no need to linger. Granada's Alhambra, OTOH, is one of the great sights of Europe - it's the #1 tourist draw in all of Spain, a country with a lot of 5-star sights. But, as others have pointed out, Granada is something of an outlier on many tourists circuit, and takes more time to get there/get back. Unlike Cordoba, Granada requires 1 full day and probably 2 nights to do it right. You can just pop in to the Mezquita in Cordoba without any prior arrangement, but you better have your ticket to the Alhambra booked in advance.

Posted by
17232 posts

If you have 2-3 days after Portugal it is well worth the bit of extra time to get to Granada and the Alhambra. If your flight from Madrid is in the afternoon, you could reach it from Cordoba easily. That would shorten your last day of travel; just go from Granada to Cordoba and spend the night there.

Posted by
23548 posts

I think you may be missing part of what we are saying. Granada is absolutely worth extra time to get there BUT ..... will you have adequate time to really view and absorb the Alhambra? You can do it but it is really not a quickie. I don't think you have the time so my suggestion, again, is to do Cordoba and enjoy a more relaxed trip back to Madrid. We always make a point of saving a thing or two for the next trip,

Posted by
136 posts

Thanks for clarifying Frank. I have three nights planned for Granada so I think this givesme enough time. I was just concerned about the travel time to and from. Frank, are you saying ditch Granada and go the Cordoba route due to the excessive travel to get there? Thanks

Posted by
12313 posts

There is more to see and do in Granada, but it is more out of the way. If you have three days, however, why not? Cordoba is a decent overnight but doesn't require three days.

Posted by
136 posts

I really only have three nights and two days since we get there late in the evening on the 22nd at 9 p.m. I haven't been to Europe in 15 years, and taking a 4 hour bus and 3 hour train from Lagos to Granada in one day, and then two days later taking a 4.5 hour train back to Madrid seems tiring. But I don't know? Do train rides drain you like flying? Or is it an easy/fun thing to do? I am still so undecided!

Posted by
4412 posts

For me, train rides are more pleasant than plane rides - airplanes make my head feel like it's in a vise, and the constant roar of the engines is very draining. Typically, trains are much more quiet, there's no 'high-altitude air pressure thing' going on, and you can more easily stroll the aisles if you want. Plus, you can go to the toilet anytime you want 'cause there no seat-belt sign (but that's outside your question!). Another question - how rested will you be when you make this long trip? That makes a big difference to me...

Posted by
9110 posts

Max cabin altitude in an airliner at forty grand: 8,000'. Altitude of Tioga Pass, CA: 10,000'.

Posted by
136 posts

We will be coming from Lagos (where we have spent 2 das, three nights of relaxing). So maybe we will be rested.

Posted by
792 posts

Erin. Granada is my favorite city! I went in 1992 when I was 27 and then again in 2009 at 45 (I hope that math checks out!). I loved it the first time and loved it even more the second time; and I know I just have to go back again and again and again! The Alhambra is probably my favorite place on earth. If I could spend just one day anywhere, I would choose the Alhambra!" I also love the Albayzin (or Albaycin) area of the city. It is enchanting! Now part of the reason I love the Alhambra is because in additon to the magnificent and beautiful Moorish Palace, the gardens are absolutely breathtaking. I'm drooling just thinking about them (not really drooling). I have also been to Cordoba including the Mezquita (sp?) twice, and toured the city by horse drawn carriage and...it didn't do it for me. To me, the experience of Cordoba paled in comparison to that of Granada.

Posted by
136 posts

Kerry, thanks for sharing your experience! I know, just looking at Cordoba andGranada online makes me drool over Granada, and not Cordoba;) just trying to get myself ready for lots of travel to get there!

Posted by
792 posts

Erin, my family went to Italy last summer (with two kids) and took trains and buses. A few of our journeys were quite long (like Amalfi Coast to Cinque Terre & Cinque Terre to Venice); but once you get on the bus or train, it is pretty relaxing and exciting. Travel days are always tiring & can be stressful; but if you and your husband are good travelers, you'll be fine. If however, one or both of you, are not good travelers, then maybe it's not something you want to do. I had to learn to relax and go with the flow. On my first trip to Italy on my honeymoon 16 years ago, I was not so relaxed and I think my husband wanted to annul the marriage right after the honeymoon!

Posted by
136 posts

Thanks Kerry,you are right, I need to just relax and enjoy the sights!

Posted by
136 posts

Thanks Kerry,you are right, I need to just relax and enjoy the sights!