Please sign in to post.

Cooking Classes

I like to eat. I like to cook. I am now thinking of planning trips with "themes." High on my list is taking a series of cooking classes throughout Europe. One day, multi-day, week long. All is good.

I know many of you have done these. My questions is.....is there a website or any hints on how to track them down? I'm not looking for one specific area but a sampling all over.

Posted by
1056 posts

I have taken several cooking classes in Italy and also a couple in Austria, all of which were one day classes, rather than several day courses. I’ve found them by simply googling “cooking class in ________” and then looking at the class description and the reviews. It’s a great way to soak up a little local culture, meet other classmates from all over the world, while simultaneously learning to cook a new item or two. And,of course, enjoy eating it.

Posted by
2298 posts

This is one of my favorite ways to experience a culture. I haven't taken any classes in Europe but I had amazing cooking experiences in Thailand, Vietnam, and Peru. I employ the Google to find classes, then check out reviews there or on TripAdvisor (I know, controversial, but it's a place to start). Try to find a class that includes a market, shopping for ingredients is also fun. I remember my Thai guide showing us "American" versions of ingredients so we could find them at home (but he made sure to boast that the Thai ones were better). If a city doesn't have a good class offering, a walking tour focused on food or local beverage is great fun too.

Posted by
3777 posts

We took a pierogi cooking class in Kraków. We had a blast. Beside making the pierogi, they served appetizers and wine. We booked through DeliciousPoland. They have other classes in other cities.

Posted by
2111 posts

We also love cooking classes....not only for the experience, the food, but the fabulous people we have met along the way. And, for those who are single (or just traveling alone), we find that about half the class participants are typically single..sometimes more. Great way to enjoy the company of other travelers in a natural setting. Conversation is quick and easy, with the common interest in food, cooking, travels, etc.

I had to stop and think how we have found most of our cooking classes........when traveling independently, definitely Google and then often double-checked on TripAdvisor. Many cooking classes have been options on group tours or small-ship cruises.

Love that you have decided to pursue this focus in your travels.

At home, those with Whole Foods stores, check out their list of classes/tastings, etc. Also a great way to enjoy an evening (or day).

Posted by
521 posts

cookingclassesinrome.com was really enjoyable. Chef Andrea made it so much fun. I’ve also participated in several more cooking experiences in Italy through Viator.com. The central market in Florence has cooking classes, although I have never been to one there. I agree with the previous poster that cooking classes are great for single travelers. I love to learn to make a new traditional dish or two, as well as interact with others who love to cook and travel!

Posted by
7125 posts

We also participated in the same cooking class that Kristen mentioned, and we definitely would recommend it. We also took a paella & market class in Sevilla, Spain, and I have taken a croissant pastry class in Paris, and a cooking class in Verona & Lucca, Italy.

I think I found most of those by going to TripAdvisor, as an example: Search on Verona, Italy; click on Things to Do; Browse by Category - Food & Drink; Select - Cooking Classes. For that city, I chose one of the cooking classes by Veronality (& also took their city bike tour!). BUT, after the TripAdvisor search, I googled "Veronality" and booked through their site. If you see "Viator", it's just a middleman company, so I always look for the source and not book anything through them. It's easy to do; just take a portion of the description and place in Google to find the owner of the class's website.

Sometimes I've also found info when going to a city's own tourism website.Also, I've posted a question on this Forum if I'm looking for something specific that I'm not finding myself.

Posted by
7125 posts

If you're looking for themes, you could Google certain food types, i.e. "best paella cooking class" and then sort through reviews. Of course, there's the question of what reviews are filtered, etc. but it would give you a good start.

Posted by
279 posts

My wife and I have taken cooking classes in Prague, Budapest, and Madrid. We just googled “cooking classes city name”. There have never been an unmanageable number of hits.

Posted by
43 posts

I intend on taking a baking class in Lyon in October at the Paul Bocuse Institute. I found this information while looking at the restaurant information on line. For those that are not aware, Paul Bocuse restaurant was awarded 3 michelin stars and has managed to keep them since his death. I drew his name from a hat as a subject to do a report about when in Culinary School. The fact that I will soon eat in his restaurant and learn in his institute is phenomenal for me. But I digress-- Obviously this is another avenue for research into available classes. I just stumbled across this one, I am sure there must be more less advertised classes like this one out there.

Posted by
5470 posts

I took a cooking class with Pino Ficara when he taught at a cooking school in Paris and he was an excellent instructor. He now has his own cooking school in Rome
https://www.grano-farina.com/about-us-find-us

I’ve taken a number of half day classes at Cookn with Class in Paris. They have a week long program in Uzes.
https://cooknwithclass.com

In London, I’ve taken several classes at Divertimenti
https://www.divertimenti.co.uk/cookery-school

I’ve taken two classes at Divertimenti with Monisha Bhardawaj, but she also holds classes in her home:
https://www.cookingwithmonisha.com/courses.asp
If you like Indian food, you will get a great feast with any of her classes. She is an excellent instructor.