Please sign in to post.

Adapters

I am unable to find my set of 6 universal adapters, but I can find two of the 2 prong adapters that I know work in Germany and Austria. Can anyone confirm that is the correct adapter for CZ, Poland and Hungary??? Thanks.
(Leaving on Monday and shoulda looked for these a month ago!!! )

Posted by
19099 posts

If the two prong adapters are true Europlugs they will work everywhere in western Europe except the British Isles. However, some 2-pin adapters have pins that are too large (Ø 4,5 mm or ~3/16") to go in the (Ø 4,0 mm) pin holes in some southern European receptacles. However, receptacles in Poland, the Czech Rep, and Hungary should all accept Ø 4,5 mm pins.

Note that the 2-pin type C, non-grounding adapters are limited by code to 2,5 amps (less than 600 W) so they are not suitable for use with high wattage appliances like hair dryers.

Posted by
5273 posts

".....If the two prong adapters are true Europlugs they will work everywhere in western Europe....."

Not in the UK they wont.

Posted by
3519 posts

Well, is the UK actually part of Western Europe? I always considered it to be the UK and not part of Europe. :-)

Posted by
19099 posts

I usually include the word "continental" when I make that statement. I originally omitted it, but I have corrected the statement, above And it is not only the UK receptacles that won't accept the Europlug; Ireland also uses the type G plug..

But actually, the Europlug also works in Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and Finland - all parts of western Europe, but not on the continent. So I should say the Europlug works in western Europe except the British Isles.

Posted by
989 posts

I've traveling for the first time without a hair dryer and a flat iron. It's LIBERATING.
But of course I still need adapters to keep the cell phone phone and the fuel rod charged.

Posted by
17968 posts

I'm not a big fan of the Europlug adapter http://www.allelectronics.com/mas_assets/cache/image/2/1/f/480x480-543.Jpg . It circumvents proper grounding of devices meant to be grounded and it falls out if you hang anything heavy on it like a USB charger.

This type of adapter, available on Amazon, provides a proper ground and can carry the weight without pulling out. https://www.110220volts.com/media/extendware/ewimageopt/media/inline/4f/e/grounded-us-to-grounded-european-schuko-power-adapter-plug-e7f.jpg

On occasion you will run into shuttered outlets and for those you will need a grounded plug.