Please sign in to post.

Compression Packing Cubes

I have just discovered packing cubes but know very little about them. In September, I am taking a long vacation (for me), about 16 days. I will be flying to Copenhagen and taking a Baltic Cruise.

I am going to need clothing that is a little warmer and heavier.

I travel very light, just a rolling carry on bag and one piece of hand luggage. However, I think that I am going to check my carry on.

I was thinking of buying compression packing cubes to maybe get a little more in plus keep my stuff neat and orderly,

All i know about packing cubes is what I am reading online. Will compression packing cubes allow me to pack a little more?

Posted by
6502 posts

They will let you fit more into a given amount of space. This will mean a heavier bag -- or a smaller bag weighing the same as a larger one. They can also help you organize your bag for easier retrieval and packing/unpacking as you change locations.

I use non-compression cubes to organize things, and a couple of plastic "space bags" to reduce bulk (underwear and laundry). The space bags don't last forever, eventually they start to take on air. And they're disastrous for anything that isn't supposed to get wrinkled. They can be helpful but not a panacea.

If you bring a heavier jacket or coat, you could wear it onto the plane then stow it overhead or under the seat. For our Baltic cruise last spring I brought a down "puffer" jacket and a wool watch cap, warm enough and very little bulk or weight. Plus the Goretex shell parka I always bring for rain (and needed this time).

Posted by
967 posts

I think compression cubes work great for clothes that can be worn with wrinkles, e.g. socks, pjs, but for clothes that need to look presentable, rolling clothes to fit in regular packing cubes works better. I have compressed a down jacket down to the size of a manila envelope though, and it looked fine.

Posted by
23267 posts

Allows you to pack more weight. We simply use the 2.5 gallon zip lock bags. Lot cheaper than compression packing cubes and IMO work just as well. And we can write on the zip lock bags with a magic marker. We change our clothing too much when we are further north. We don't add heavier clothing just some light weight layers of long underwear and tops, light weight sweater. It will still be fairly warm in September. Being on the water will be cooler so a good wind breaker shell is handy.

Posted by
4154 posts

I'm a compression cube devotee. After using normal cubes and another brand of compression ones, I settled on Eagle Creek Pack-it Specter Compression Cube Sets like these.

Yes, I do have all 3 colors: Brilliant Blue, Volcano Red and Strobe Green. The double zip design works well for me. Sometimes I use a small one for toiletries that aren't liquid and other assorted items.

As for wrinkles, I don't take any clothes for which that really matters. I don't roll anything that goes in these cubes. I found that they work better if the items are folded flat. I try to fold things so that they are the same dimensions as the cubes. And alternate pant waists and shirt tops. (Thank you Marie Kondo.)

Posted by
7357 posts

Compression sacks are a long-proven packing aide for camping and backpacking. Packing cubes fit better in a suitcase than those sacks, and I just got some for upcoming trip this fall. Having things you know are in a certain cube helps with organizing. And finding your clothing articles quickly.

Posted by
5697 posts

Like Frank, I use a 2.5 gallon ziploc bag to squish the air out of a down jacket -- zip it mostly closed, then sit on the bag and finish closing it. Makes a flat package that goes in the suitcase on top of the regular packing cubes.

Posted by
149 posts

I used compression packs just one time and won’t do it again. May be fine if you are going to one location and staying there, but if you are moving around between hotels it is such a pain to have your stuff expanded and then have to compress it all again to repack. As noted above, you carry more weight and you also get tempted to pack more stuff.

I will use a compression bag for a single item, like a jacket, but use regular packing cubes for all else. Just launder more often.

Posted by
4573 posts

I find I can really stuff my regular packing cubes so in some ways works for compression. I fold my clothes as they are wovens. Given that they are often polyester blends, the wrinkles are minimal. (I also try for patterns or a textured fabric so few wrinkles are not visible). I don't think the compression cubes would be as kind to the close.
As you are on a cruise, it means once you are there, you can hang up any clothing. Squirt with plain water on the wrinkles, smooth and hang to dry. Or if laundry is free, ask them to press clothes for you.
If you aren't familiar with regular packing cubes, you may want to start there. Do some test packs and then determine whether investing in a true compression cube is worth it. Alternately, look at the folding packs. https://www.eaglecreek.com/shop/packing-folders/pack-it-original-garment-folder-m-ec041190#hero=0
I find they reduce depth by about half and don't wrinkle my clothing.
If you are thinking bulky sweaters, knit outerwear or down jacket, then maybe those would work for a compression cube. I have used standard zip lock bags. I don't like the compression bags because though they do a good job removing air, mine become rather stiff and take up space in my suitcase. I can fill it more with more pliable containers. Even the fold pack I now remove the folding board.
To reinforce, with your plan to check the bag, this concept will work as it reduces bulk, but not weight. Being able to manage your smaller luggage for boarding and disembarking the cruise is great.

Posted by
4320 posts

My constantly-traveling husband says that whoever invented packing cubes deserves a Nobel prize. He does not use the compression ones, I use the Lewis and Clarks compressible. I'm not convinced that the compressible ones really hold more and take up that much less space compared to my regular Eagle Creek ones.

If you apply Marie Kondo to luggage, I much prefer the look of packing cubes to ziploc bags.

Posted by
4044 posts

I have used the compression bags for years. No need for a giant one; I use several moderate sized bags, putting sets of clothes in each one so I only have to open one for a couple of days worth of wear. They are flexible, too, fitting into irregular spaces in my suitcase.

Posted by
3207 posts

Years ago I used zip lock bags. They were OK at the time, but awkward to get the air out and not convenient over the long term (rip, etc.) for me, and everything would slip around my suitcase. With the concern for plastics not being environmentally friendly, I no longer use zip lock bags for anything anywhere 95% of the time.

I use regular packing cubes and sacks and love them for their organization, ease of searching through my carryon, and protection of my clothes from travel, TSA hands and security dumping of my suitcase...if it ever happens. And I agree with Cala, it is a much neater suitcase. All compression cubes would make my suitcase heavier, likely, as I might squeeze more into each bag...maybe.

However, I do use a very small compression cube for my pj's and change of clothes that I put in my personal item when checking my carryon. I estimate it is 4" square and 3" thick when compressed. Compression makes the package smaller so it more easily fits in my 12x16x6 personal item.

Basically, figure out your packing needs first and then determine which and what size you should use. I use medium/small; just two hold all my clothes except what is in my personal item. I roll my clothes in the cubes so I can see everything when I unzip them. If I didn't mind moving items around in my suitcase all the time, I might forget the cubes and just roll the clothes in my suitcase, but for me, I believe I would remove items to where the organization of my suitcase would disintegrate and drive me nuts with out them.

Posted by
13937 posts

Like Lo, I used the Eagle Creek Specter Compression cubes for a number of years. They are very lightweight yet sturdy. I used the medium one for shirts and a smaller one for underwear. I can also get a puffy vest into the smaller one. It has it's own stuff sac but that makes it too wrinkled so I prefer folding it into the small cube. I also folded my shirts in the medium cube as I felt they were flatter and less wrinkled that way.

Early on in my light-packing journey, lol, I used one of the flat compression bags (not the cubes) for a fleece jacket and it was a pain in the neck. Too big around the edge and too unwieldy.

I've changed to a different kind of cube now just because I like the way they sit in my suitcase.

Posted by
1924 posts

Thank you all for your helpful info.

I am Amazon Prime and I have three sets of packing cubes in my basket. I am only planning on buying one so I am going to have to think about it. Two sets got 4 1/2 stars and one got all 5. All three are just under $20 each. All three are excellent brands.

I have gift cards so I don't have to use my own money but as it turns out, I have very heavy clear bags that I I use for storage and to keep things in . All have zippers and are clear. I want to look around my own apt and see what I have that might work before buying anything more.

I will post what I have decided upon.

Posted by
15003 posts

I"ve been using packing cubes for years. I now use a combination of Eagle Creek Specter Tech M compression cubes and eBags Hyperlite cubes.

Posted by
1924 posts

Well, I did get a deal (or so I think) on packing cubes. I . bought them on Amazon as a lightning deal. The set cost me about $14 and free shipping. I will get them Tuesday.

I am going to try to post a link.

The cubes get 5 stars. I have never heard of the company but they have an interesting variety of products and they seem to be high quality.

I tried to post a link but after posting, it gave too much personal information about me so I am going to try something different.

Posted by
1924 posts

Well, I tried to a post a link to my cubes but I am finding it impossible because too much of my personal information comes up.

The name of the company is FOTEMIX and it is an Amazon store. When my cubes come, I will take a picture of them. It is a seven piece light blue set.

Posted by
681 posts

Love my tubes. Won't leave home without them. They really do allow you to pack a lot and tightly. Keeps me organized. I just packed last night for a 3 week trip. One tube is full of things I don't immediately need such as swimsuit, hat, etc. Another with underclothes and pj and the rest with shirts and jeans. Worked out great.