Please sign in to post.

Colmar to Basel Airport

I will be in Colmar and leaving the area from Basel Airport. After perusing several forums, it seems there are two main ways to get to Basel Airport from Colmar with public transportation. Would appreciate if someone can help confirm my understanding below. Thanks in advance!

1) First is to take the train from Colmar and get off at Basel SBB. From there, take #50 bus to Basel airport. Both rides can be paid in Euro. This seems pretty straightforward on Google map's direction. Any caveats I need to be aware of?

2) Alternatively, take the train from Colmar (same train as above) but get off at St. Louis instead. From there, take the #11 bus to airport. Both rides can be paid in Euro. Downside of this method is the bus does not run as frequently as #50. However according to Google maps, it is telling me to take the train from Colmar to Mulhouse, get off there to get on another train heading towards Basel SBB and get off at St. Louis, and from there walk to airport (no bus needed?). Can someone help me clarify what is the correct approach here?

3) I also see an option for Flixbus. Is anyone familiar with it?

Posted by
19654 posts

However according to Google maps, it is telling me to take the train from Colmar to Mulhouse, get off there to get on another train heading towards Basel SBB and get off at St. Louis, and from there walk to airport (no bus needed?)

I think you are talking about the station St Louis La Chausee. Looks like about 3/4 mile walk, but I would not try it as there appears to be sections without a walkway.

3) I also see an option for Flixbus. Is anyone familiar with it?

Flixbus is kinda like the Greyhound of Europe. I see 4 departures per day from Colmar, at least for tomorrow, 7:10, 11:25, 15:30, and 17:45. Takes anywhere between 45 minutes and 75 minutes.
www.flixbus.com

Posted by
8889 posts

You've basically answered your own question:

1) Train to Basel SBB, then No. 50 bus. Tickets from the ticket machine by the stop, pay in CHF or Euros. Bus runs every 7½ minutes, there is always one waiting.

2) Get off the same train at St. Louis (last French station), and get the bus. Bus every 30 minutes
Timetable here: https://distribus.com/uploads/ligne11.pdf

Sometimes you have to change trains in Mulhouse, usually not. The same applies whether you are doing (1) or (2). You cannot walk from St. Louis station to the airport, much too far. Google is giving you bad info.

Flixbus, infrequent - I wouldn't bother.

Posted by
19654 posts

The least expensive option would appear to be train to St Louis Haut Rhin costing 13.60 EUR (unless it is an off peak train and you are 25 or under, or 60 or older, then a 25% discount), then 2.50 EUR for the bus.