Please sign in to post.

Clothing and shoes for travel in Europe in June 2016

I will be traveling with a group from my son's high school to Spain, France and Italy in June 2016. I am planning on wearing capris most of the time. I know the weather will be hot, but not sure shorts are the way to go. Any suggestions about weather appropriate clothing for Europe? Any suggestions for shoes good for walking but nice enough looking to wear with a variety of clothing? Due to recent events in Europe are there suggestions about what to avoid wearing over there?

Posted by
616 posts

Well, it depends where you are and of the heat
Beach? City? Countryside?
If the heat is over 30 degrees Celsius, I believe you could go to a not to posh restaurant and be allowed. In Paris, if you are in a nice area(1er, 16eme, 8eme, 6eme) it would look a bit uneducated. Also in Italy you will not be allowed to get into a church. Women must wear a shawl or cotton jacket.
So bring a pair of cotton trousers. For your shoes, where what you feel comfortable in (heat, rocky and sandy places)

Posted by
6464 posts

My "go to" pants for hot weather are a linen blend. They're loose in the legs, and are cool, comfortable, and perfectly acceptable anywhere. They can be dressed up or down, and, since they're linen, they're supposed to look a little wrinkled! My only problem is, I've had them for about 10 years now, and they've been shrinking in length little by little. When I got them, they reached down below my ankles; they don't any longer. But I do love them. I wish I could remember where I bought them. Not that I'd ever be able to find the same pair again...

Posted by
2768 posts

Capris are fine. I would avoid shorts in the cities, unless they are "trendy" shorts worn with nice flats and a blouse (not regular casual shorts with t-shirts and walking shoes). Then only during the day - not going out for dinner. In hiking or beach type areas, any shorts should be fine. Americans have this strange (to me) idea that shorts are the only solution for hot weather. Light fabric, light colors matter more. And a sundress is a million times cooler than shorts. Breezy, air flows ;) There are also very lightweight pants that may help.

Shirts - Sleeveless tops are fine, but in Italy many churches require shoulders to be covered, so have a scarf or cardigan in your bag. T-shirts or short sleeve tops are fine as well. Solid colors, stripes, a print you like, whatever. I'd avoid sports team logos, college logos, stupid sayings, brand logos, but I avoid these in the US too.

Shoes - Sandal walking shoes or flats - comfort is #1, but I'd avoid hiking shoes or sneakers in cities unless your feet are such that only sneakers will allow you to walk very much. I wear ballet flats and toms, but a lot of people think these have too thin soles. Doesn't bother me, but a lot of "comfort" shoes are too restrictive for my taste. It's all about your specific feet. If you don't have good shoes for lots of walking, be prepared to spend hours trying on a billion pairs until you find the right one! As an example, my sister just bought these, says they are very comfortable and look decent.
http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens-collections/womens-collection/Leisa-Annual-Black-Leather/p/26105572

Recent events shouldn't really affect dress.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I hadn't considered taking sundresses ( with a sweater for the churches) but that certainly is another option I am going to look at today!

Posted by
16367 posts

Below-the knee capris, loose skirts and/or sundresses (with a scarf or other cover-up for bare shoulder) will be just fine. Fabrics should be lightweight and breathable; blends that can be sink-washed and drip-dried overnight are best, and keep wrinkles and weight/bulk in the luggage to a minimum. You don't want to take anything you'll only wear once or that needs a lot of fussy care. Dark-colored bottoms can go longer without a wash than light-colored ones, and try to put together wardrobe that's colored-coordinated: all tops can go with all bottoms.

I can't wear ballet flats - not enough cushion on the bottoms - but Privos and Sketchers work well for me.

Posted by
27616 posts

When it comes to footwear, I think it's critical to consider how much time you expect to spend walking or standing on hard surfaces (as in museums). Someone who buses or taxis from sight to sight may be OK with shoes chosen for appearance as much as for comfort, but I would die on Day 1 if I did that. I'm now using good quality lace-up shoes with a non-custom orthotic to provide extra support in the arch. That combination is noticeably more comfortable than the lace-up Rockports I used on earlier trips, and the latter were a big step up from crepe-soled sandals. But I walk a lot, up to 10 or 11 miles a day. Many tourists can get by with shoes that look less dorky than mine.

Posted by
2768 posts

Again, with shoes it all depends on your feet. I walk 10-15 miles/day on trips and stand in museums a lot. I do it all in ballet flats. But it took trying on 25 pairs to find one that works. "Support" is not really a concern for me. But padding is. So flats with a cushiony insert. And shape - foot sliding and blisters are a big problem, so 95% of what I try on isn't the right shape. All feet are different. But yes, some of us can walk all day in flats.