Please sign in to post.

clothing

Hey everyone,( I asked this before & can't locate my old answers or archives!) I'm going to Paris in October, any suggestions for easy to wash (in the sink!?) clothing that does not wrinkle easily, dries quickly and has zippers on (some) pockets? Any suggestions for specific companies that make travel clothing? Thanks!

Posted by
23290 posts

First I think that travel clothing tends to look like travel clothing and tend to be expensive. I try to avoid it if I can. Brands like Exoffico, Travel Smith, etc. fall in that pile. If you keep you eyes open you can find regular clothing that function very well as traveling cloth. My best travel pants came from Sams Club but have not seen the product in a couple of years. REI has a nice line of Adventure Clothing that doesn't have that travel look. We have a couple of light weight Land Ends shirts. We try to avoid cotton since it is heavy and hard to maintain and 100%nylon. We prefer the synthetic blends and some blends with a low level of cotton are very nice. I have a synthetic blend dress pants from Dockers that has two zipper pockets on the leg seam. Check the sporting goods stores, places like REI, and EMS which should be in your area.

Posted by
1068 posts

I agree with Frank, frankly. :D An exception is TravelSmith, which makes clothing that packs well and still looks like "real clothing." They are pretty seriously expensive, but might be worth a look. They make those "convertible" pants that have zippers on the legs, nice wrinkle-free travel chinos, good-looking no-iron shirts, classic trench coats and other outerwear, and more. Otherwise, pack blends and no-iron clothing, avoid denim if you don't want a 3-days-to-dry ordeal, and bring VERY comfy shoes that you have tried out with some serious walking prior to getting on your flight.

Posted by
8683 posts

And don't forget to pack the cheap rubber sink stopper since some places don't have them.

Posted by
5678 posts

It is likely to find clothing at Sam's Club and other places, but I have bought a lot of clothes from Travelsmith and from Tilley. I want to say though, that I don't just wear them when I fly to Europe. I wear them in NYC, I wear them when I take trips for business in the US, I wear them on personal vacations in the US. The advantage for me is that they dry very fast. They have the funky pockets. They look good after drying fast. They don't take up much space. And, they wear well. I have some black pants that I got over ten years ago from Travelsmith and I'm still wearing them. Oh, and they are generally comfortable. And, I really don't think that they say "travel clothes" any more than other clothing. Pam

Posted by
121 posts

A lot of outdoor stores also carry good travel clothing. Wrinkle-free, quick dry, usually quite fashionable.

Posted by
32213 posts

Gary, I use Tilley clothing almost exclusively when I travel. It seems to be very durable and designed for easy care while travelling. I've found the sizing can vary a bit between lines, so it's really a good idea to try the items in a store if possible. According to their website, there are quite a number of dealers in New York city. Check this link for the details: www.tilley.com/AlexCo/RetailPartnerSearch.aspx Happy travels!