Please sign in to post.

City maps

Who publishes the best maps for getting around major cities (London, Edinburgh, Dublin)? We will not be driving, but will be doing lots of traveling by foot and public transportation around all of these cities. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks!

Posted by
1152 posts

The best maps I've found are the London and Paris Mapguides by Michael Middleditch. They are a little old, but well done. They are in book form so you don't look too much like a tourist when you use them. I only wish they were available for more cities. The other ones I like are Borch laminated maps. They are fold-out maps, but they are easy to use. They have maps for lots and lots of cities. Both choices are available from Amazon.

Posted by
12040 posts

The best I've seen available in the US are the Streetwise series. They show the most important areas of the city for tourists and often include a public transportation map. Best of all, they're laminated and they fold easily.

Posted by
23281 posts

Actually we use the free, advertising map available from the hotel or the TI. Often the maps will highlight major sites, and places like McDonalds and others that are great for bathrooms. Since they are on pretty cheap paper they do not last more than day but are easy to mark up, fold, cut and are free.

Posted by
687 posts

When you get to London buy a mini A to Z, that's what the locals use. For Edinburgh and Dublin I agree, Streetwise should be good, although your guidebook and a map from T.I. should also be adequate.

Posted by
1986 posts

For London A to Z. A while ago I also bought their enlarged version just for the central (tourist?) area, which I find wonderful for finding little pubs and restaurants (and churches) in the tiny little side streets. Maps and writing is larger than the standard version, but still the same pocket size- obviously covers a much smaller area, but its probably all you need. And you can use it for years to come.

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Ruth. The "Streetwise" maps are good, and the London mini "A - Z" is good. The tourist information offices there can sell to you a big beautiful colorful map that has names and approximate locations of many eateries, etc. in a city - It is likely to be correct current information, but a traveler might be disoriented in that city and not know how to use that map. I recommend acquiring a map of a city that you will go to, before you go there, and read that map, become familiar with some streets on that map, before you go there.

Posted by
811 posts

While I haven't used them for the cities you will be visiting, I'm a fan of the PopOutMaps. They are small and also give an overview of public transportation options.

Posted by
1357 posts

I don't know if they still publish these, but a few years ago, I bought Let's Go city guides for Prague, Rome, and Madrid. They fold up just like maps, and have plastic coated maps as part of them, but then there's also the book guide part.

Posted by
9363 posts

Another vote for the Streetwise series! Their smaller size and lamination make them easy to use on a windy street corner, and the public transport map is great.

Posted by
32212 posts

Ruth, I use the same method as Frank. The Hotels and Hostels usually provide a large Map at check-in, which they simply "tear off" a pad. They're printed on regular paper so don't last long, but it's easy to obtain another, and of course they're free which is nice. Cheers!

Posted by
524 posts

Ruth Paris pratique par arrondissement is available at the many news stands dotting Paris. There may be seveal versions but I like the one that is about 4 X 6 and has a paperback cover. If you are going to be in Paris for a week or more, I suggest purchasing the map booklets which show each arrondisement or district's streets over a 2 page spread. Each of the arrondisement or district is numbered 1 -20. In the back is the index of every Paris Street, with the arrondisment and the map coordinates. Easy and very necessary when you get off the main boulevards. If you have never been to Paris or other European cities, this will probably not seem necessary until you get there! Bobbie

Posted by
5529 posts

I also really like the London Mapguide by Michael Middleditch that was previously mentioned. I actually find it easier to read than the A to Z, although A to Z covers more territory.