Please sign in to post.

Christmas River Cruise

My husband and I are planning an early December Christmas Market river cruise.
We will be spending extra time in both Munich and Vienna. I have had very little luck in finding any day-long pastry cooking classes. The virus situation is another problem that is playing havoc on getting any information.
I was wondering if there is anyone who has had good luck in finding pastry cooking classes, or has information about organizations to contact? mason

Posted by
1117 posts

Can you specify what kind of pastry you want to learn to cook? And do the classes have to be in English, or do you speak German?

There have been a lot of threads about Christmas markets (check the Germany section of the forum for that maybe), and the question if and when and unter what restrictions they may take place this year. The long and the short of it is that nobody can tell you for sure at this point in time.

Posted by
3 posts

Dear Anna,
Thanks for your response.
I was looking for a Christmas Log class, or a class dealing with croissants, and variations of croissdants.
I'm limited to English only.
Thank you for your time. mason

Posted by
1117 posts

Hi Mason, I must admit that I am not quite sure what you mean by a "Christmas log". Do you mean the Stollen? Or are you thinking of something like this? The Stollen is a specialty from Saxonia, especially Dresden. I am not familiar with the tradition of the Yule log, and I doubt that it is very common in other parts of Germany.

Most baking classes will be in German, and it seems difficult to find something in English. If you want to give it a try in German, the Volkshochschule (a kind of community college) might be a good place to look, like here or here.

As far as the croissants go... well... I'd recommend you spend your next vacation in France. :-) Of course you will find croissants all over Europe, and I am sure bakeries all over Europe know how to make them - sort of - , but really, for croissants, France is the place to go.

Posted by
1225 posts

I think Bûche de Noël may be French. I recall that being a feature on the RS Christmas video from years ago. I have not sought out any pastry courses in Munich or Vienna.

I did take a lesson on apple strudel in Salzburg, but it was only a few hours, not a day. It was yummy. Edelweiss Cooking School.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for the responses to my question.
I am thinking about the French 'buche de Noel' when I speak about a 'Yule Log.'
The reason why I'm asking is that on a Paris vacation I did take a 6-hour croissant class.
SIMPLY WONDERFUL.
I'll keep watch, and try some of the suggestions.
Once more thanks for the help. mason

Posted by
1117 posts

@Mason: Ah... o.k., thanks for the clarification.

Well, if all the pastry you want to learn to make is French, seems like France is the right place for your next vacation. :-)

@ Southam: Sure, you can find lots of recipes online, but have you tried finding a cooking class in Munich or Vienna, as the OP requested?