Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Europe

Hello travelers!
I am looking to spend Dec 21 - Jan 1 somewhere in Europe, and trying to decide where to go. Do Bavarian countries do Christmas the best? What is a good Christmas-y town to visit? Or, Scandinavia for a quaint Christmas and perhaps some northern lights? I am taking all suggestions!

Posted by
32732 posts

Have you looked at Rick's Christmas videos from different cities? He does one every year and they are available to watch on this website. Use the "Watch, Read, Listen" button. They focus on local stereotypes but that sounds like what you are after.

There are also Christmas podcasts every year too. Same button, similar content but always different.

What did you mean by "Bavarian countries"? There is only one Bavaria and it is only in one country - Germany. Bavaria is a Land; a Land is like a state in the US.

Posted by
776 posts

In addition to the above suggestions, I would suggest getting a better grip of European geography and doing some research in guide books. Europe is a big place with many cultures so Christmases are different from place to place.

Posted by
17892 posts
Posted by
619 posts

You also need to be aware that not all European countries celebrate Christmas on the same day, and certainly not in the same way.

Posted by
993 posts

We did a Christmas trip a couple years ago... arrived on 12/17 a bit earlier than you did. Bavaria shuts down Christmas markets Dec 23 or 24... Salzburg had theirs open through the 26th, as did some in Vienna.

We did Munich, stopped for the day in Salzburg on the way to Vienna (arrived there 12/21) and left on Christmas Eve for Prague. Vienna was my very favorite place for markets, though I liked Munich quite a bit too.

We spent a few days in Prague over Dec 24-26 or 27... they still had some markets going. They were nice for ambience, but they did not have the nice things for purchase as in Germany and Austria. More like "chain" markets... but we still really liked Prague a lot!

We ended in Berlin Dec. 27-30 or so.. (I'm off by a day...)... they had most of their markets still open, not as Christmas-y everywhere, but also soooo many good sites! It was a perfect trip!

Here is my blog for it
https://onatangentweb.wordpress.com/category/christmas-markets-2016/

Have fun! I am dying for another christmas trip... it was COLD though, proper shoes and clothes are ESSENTIAL!

Kim

Posted by
17892 posts

You also need to be aware that not all European countries celebrate Christmas on the same day, and certainly not in the same way.

You can actually celebrate Christmas in one country, New Year in another, then Christmas again in yet a third country and finally New Year again in yet a fourth country. Actually it would be a fun trip..

Posted by
4311 posts

I agree with Nigel that you should look at Rick's Christmas videos. The only problem is, it will increase your bucket list. In 2014 my husband said we needed to take a trip at Christmas to maintain his diamond status. I found out later he was thinking Canada (in December?-he clearly was NOT thinking!), but I immediately said London. He had already seen Rick's England Christmas video and expressed interest. Our daughter still talks about how much she enjoyed that week.

Posted by
5697 posts

New Year's Eve in Vienna!

Everyone has their own favorites, and all of them are worth considering. We have enjoyed Christmas markets in Salzburg, Innsbruck, Nuremburg, Strasbourg, Colmar, Paris, Vienna. Happy travels!

Posted by
864 posts

You should also be aware that many places have larger, more public, festivities for New Years. These can include fireworks, music, and street celebrations. Much more of a party than Christmas which is a family celebration.

Posted by
12172 posts

Spain's big day is Jan. 6th. If you go after December 25th, you are in their 12 days of Christmas.

Posted by
385 posts

We spent those same two weeks in Florence last year, and would gladly return for another Buon Natale.

From the Christmas Market outside Santa Croce, to midnight mass at The Duomo on Christmas Eve, we found Firenze in late-Dec the perfect blend of weather (only rained once, temperatures hovered near mid-50's [F] during the day), culture and low crowds at our favorite museums. Had some memorable meals on Oltrarno side of the river, just hanging out with the locals and having another gelato!

Posted by
61 posts

We started one European Christmas vacation in Strasbourg to visit the Christmas markets. We then spent 10 days over the Christmas period in Paris before heading to Venice for New Years Eve. Wonderful places to visit at that time of year!
Vienna is also a great place to spend New Years Eve.