Please sign in to post.

Christmas Dinner in London

My daughter is in London performing with DOI and she and her friend(s) need a place to go for Christmas dinner. There might be just two or 6 people. I found the Savoy, wow $400 per person, almost had a heart attack. Thank goodness, they were full. I found three other restaurants, but they were all full. I couldn't find more than seven and they were all full.

Thanks again for any recommendations.

Posted by
11329 posts

We stayed in London over Christmas several years ago and found Open Table to be useful for the dinners in the 24th and 25th. https://www.opentable.co.uk/

Fixed price meals are very common for these special meals. I did see some pubs that had availability when we walked around that week, but I don’t think I would leave it to chance.

Posted by
5521 posts

Keep in mind that there will be no transit running so you will need to choose a place within walking distance of where they are staying.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you for letting me no that the trains don’t run on Christmas.

Posted by
15023 posts

Many pubs also have a special Christmas dinner. Reservations mandatory.

Posted by
501 posts

It’s not clear from your post whether your daughter is looking for a Christmas Dinner or just a dinner on Christmas Day.

By Christmas Dinner I mean the full traditional turkey and all the trimmings. This tends to be eaten sometime between lunchtime and mid-afternoon (like a Sunday roast). There will be some pubs and restaurants open on Christmas Day but they will tend to be offering an expensive pre-booked set meal, and often only earlier on the day and closing for the evening.

If what she’s looking for is merely somewhere to eat dinner on Christmas Day - that is, in the evening, I’d imagine Chinatown or other enclaves of ethnic restaurants might be the best bet.

As has been said, there is no public transport that day. Perhaps you could give us a sense of what sort of meal your daughter is hoping for?

Posted by
32777 posts

performing with DOI

curious - what's a DOI? Daughter of inlaws?

I see you have found that trains won't be running on Christmas Day. Neither will buses or Underground or Elizabeth Line.

There are usually a very limited number of buses linking Heathrow with Victoria Coach Station, but that's it.

Choices are walk, hire a bike or taxi.

Best to find somewhere an easy walk away.

Posted by
501 posts

performing with DOI

curious - what's a DOI? Daughter of inlaws?

For some reason I assumed it was Dancing On Ice!

Posted by
5776 posts

There are usually a very limited number of buses linking Heathrow with Victoria Coach Station, but that's it.

National Express have now confirmed their timetables for Christmas Day, which are now on line and on sale. As well as Heathrow Nat Ex serve a large number of destinations that day, including all the London airports (except LCY), and as far as Plymouth, Swansea and Glasgow/Edinburgh.

Posted by
5776 posts

So as Disney on Ice is at the O2 arena, is your daughter (and her friends) going to be in lodgings in the Greenwich area (then advice can be tailored to that)? , or are they going to be travelling in to the O2 from elsewhere in the City each day?