Please sign in to post.

Christmas 2018

My husband and I are looking for a travel destination December 2018.

We will have about 10 days to travel and are leaving from Atlanta area. We would prefer outside of the US.

We love hiking, camping, fishing, exploring, volcanoes, rain forests, mountains, waterfalls, kayaking, biking, and anything outdoorsy!

We are flexible as far as the weather!

Posted by
1540 posts

I know you posted this on the Europe boards, but in December if you want to go outdoors for the activities you listed...... I love Costa Rica and Peru.
The weather of course would be warmer etc.

I've been to Europe many times in all seasons. In the winter I really love the Christmas Markets. They are lovely outdoor markets usually in the late afternoon and evenings and a great way to spend several hours wandering and even enjoying a hot mulled wine.

Here is an article that tells more about them.

Christmas Markets

You can also google alot more info on the markets. I went to several of them in my 8 day visit to the area.

Posted by
5373 posts

You won't find any rainforests in Europe. Italy has Vesuvius and Mount Etna if you like volcanoes although Vesuvius might be a bit of an anti climax depending on what your expectations are.

If you enjoy skiing then you may be in luck but other than that a lot of the outdoorsy stuff will not be particularly enjoyable in December and might not even be available. December is a tricky month as snowfall in many places is not guaranteed. Personally I would look beyond Europe.

Posted by
23447 posts

Are you asking about Europe? Most of Europe is in winter at that time. If it is warmer weather you want you need to keep as far south as possible. Even the northern edge of the Med can be chilly at that time of year. Just look on a map.

Posted by
4 posts

We don't have a preference for cold or warm weather. We've never really experienced snow and have only snowboarding once, but we are open to all activities!

Posted by
2145 posts

Hi sea, you have a very open-ended question here... I’ve always wanted to do the Christmas markets in Germany. Switzerland is amazingly beautiful for the outdoor activities you described. Have fun!

Posted by
706 posts

Brazil--Manaus and Amazonas for rain forests, Iguaçu for waterfalls, and a beach destination (Florianopolis, Guarujá, Ubatuba, Cabo Frio, etc.) for all the outdoorsy stuff. Volcanoes? Maybe not.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
3392 posts

All of these great outdoor activities you list won't really be possible in Europe since December is frozen over in much of Europe! I agree with everyone else. Head to central or south America or SE Asia. It's summer in New Zealand...that is a place that would be full of the things you enjoy doing!

Posted by
995 posts

I am planning a trip to Greece; Crete has one or more gourges people can hike through, the Peloponnese region has at least one gourge too. Many or most countries in Europe probably have most of the outdoor activities you listed, camping, national parks, waterfalls, and so on... Certain region of Europe may have forests, obviously not like the rain forests near the equator.

Or skip Europe and go to a park in northern Michigan. For example the upper peninsula has the (small) porcupine and Huron mountains, the Fox River trail, Lake Superior, Taquamenon falls, possibly ice fishing on one of the small inland lakes, possibly snowmobiling, cross country skiing and/or down-hill skiing, and so on.