Please sign in to post.

Christmas 2013 Suggestions

We are wanting to go Europe this year for Christmas and are looking for ideas and suggestions from those that have spent Christmas there before. We would love to spend the holidays somewhere that really gets into the spirit of them. We will be going to Italy, Slovenia and Croatia this June, and would like to go somewhere different for Christmas time. Thank you in advance for any suggestions and experiences that you are willing to share.

Posted by
833 posts

I think Switzerland, Austria, Bavaria would all be lovely. I was in Switzerland right before Christmas last year and spent Christmas in London. If you want snow, culture, trees with real candles - visit Switzerland!

Posted by
2951 posts

Hi April, Never actually spent Christmas in Europe, but for "Christmas atmophere", I'd highly recommend Salzburg and Austria and Bavaria in general. We visited Salzburg, St. Gilgen, Rattenberg, Innsbruck and Hall in Tirol (all in Austria) for the Christmas markets in 2010. If visiting these places doesn't get you in the "holiday spirit", nothing ever will. In fact, we're doing it again this winter! We're also incuding Ljubljana this year. If you could come back after your June trip and post any info on Ljubljana/Slovenia in general, I'd appreciate it greatly. Paul

Posted by
19532 posts

I've spent Christmas in London and a couple of times in Budapest. Each different but great. Enjoyed Budapest a little more for the snow and the Christmas markets, the lights and the food.