Please sign in to post.

Chip and pin card

I traveled last year in France and found that it was impossible to rent a bicycle from the wonderful city bike programs in every city that I tried without a chip and pin card. Does anyone know how/where to get a chip and pin card and which would be the best one to have for such uses? There was no way around this but to pay ten times or more the price if I was lucky enough to even find a bike rental place. Huge disappointment.

Posted by
27 posts

Bank of America now has a chip and pin Travel Awards CC. Anxious to try mine this summer.

Posted by
4140 posts

Bank of America cards are chip and signature , not chip and pin , and are unlikely to work in automated applications such as gas pumps , ticket kiosks , etc. To the best of my knowledge , the only American issued cards with chip and pin technology are USAA and Andrews FCU . The pin works like an electronic relay and allows what are termed offline transactions .

Posted by
20081 posts

I got the Andrews Federal Credit Union Visa Card. Open an account, and then apply for the card. It has a chip that looks exactly like a SIM card. That connects inside the credit card reader.
https://www.andrewsfcu.org/
If you get a Navigo Card, there is a way to load it for Velib bike rentals.

Posted by
4535 posts

Bank of America cards are chip and signature , not chip and pin , and
are unlikely to work in automated applications such as gas pumps ,
ticket kiosks , etc.

FYI - People here and from other sources have reported using their chip and signature cards in many automated machines. It depends on the machine. And the cards do come with a PIN that can often be used to approve the transaction.

Posted by
4140 posts

.....And the cards do come with a PIN that can often be used to approve the transaction.......I have been informed by Chase , for example , that the use of the supplied pin with their chip cards will result in the transaction being posted as a cash advance . In addition , with either a signature card or a chip card , the transaction will post without a pin or signature depending on the ceiling amount . For instance , using a swipe card at my local Home Depot , no confirmation ( signature ) is required if the transaction is under fifty USD . ( the CVM reference in the list that Michael posted )

Posted by
4535 posts

^^^ Good point to always check your individual card's bank policies. But the main point is that often a chip & signature card will work in automated machines.

Posted by
4140 posts

@ Douglas , Please don't take what I say negatively . I certainly understand your point that a signature and chip card can work in some circumstances , there is no argument about that . I was attempting to disabuse Mark of the all too often misinterpretation of what constitutes a chip and pin card . Too many travelers conflate the two cards without making a distinction , and wind up being disappointed when the card fails to work as expected . Calling all of these chip enabled cards " chip and pin " is like calling all cola drinks " coke " . Drinking pepsi while calling it coke doesn't have the same impact as standing at a ticket kiosk trying to make a transaction and not having the card perform . The actual chip and pin card has far more reliable functionality than a chip and signature card and I think it is important to know the difference . From a purely anecdotal perspective , I will also say that this past October in Vienna , I did encounter a traveler attempting to use a chip and signature card in a kiosk for Vienna mass transit who was quite frustrated that he couldn't get it to work . My Andrews FCU card read the chip , asked for the pin , and processed the transaction , Please accept my comments purely in the interest of clarity , Steve

Posted by
4535 posts

^^ No problem - we are both working to keep people clear on things here. There is indeed so much confusion over credit cards and what works and what doesn't. In fact most people can get along just fine with their old fashioned magnetic strip card.

I do agree that if someone does really need a Chip & PIN, they SHOULD get the actual Chip & PIN card and not a Chip & Signature. But again, for the average person, even having the Chip & Signature will work very well for them. I've even been able to use my magnetic strip card with just a PIN for purchases in Europe, though rarely.

Hopefully in a few more years this will be a non-issue for Americans and we'll all have Chip & PIN.

Posted by
124 posts

Sally,
It's a bigger and bigger problem happening in Europe for Americans. You do have to a chip in your credit/debt card to rent bikes, pay for some parking, get into to the ATM branches, paying in restaurants. I know through my military friends that BOA does have a credit/debt card with a chip in it, but I don't know how you would go around getting it.
I was lucky enough that I some how keep hosteling with Canadians, so I did the I'll give you cash and you use your card.

Posted by
518 posts

In reference to Andrews Federal Credit Union:
I have their chip and pin card, but it was not that easy to get. I am self-employed and also retired, and I had to fax them proof of income and several other documents. Contacting them is not that easy either. The wait time on the phone was often long. Once I got my application all approved, it took another month or so to get the card. The whole process took about 3 months. So get a head start if you plan to get a card from them.