Please sign in to post.

Chamonix

Heading to Chamonix France in a couple of weeks and planning to take the gondola up to Aiguille du Midi. Anyone out there been there, suggest making a reservation ahead of time (not knowing weather)? Also wondering what the best route for this trip. Once at top, take another gondola into Italy and return to Chamonix. How much time should we allow to get the best of everything?

Posted by
5678 posts

I visited in early September and did not reserve a space and got up easily. I did go first thing in the AM. The issue of going to Italy was solved for me as it was too windy. If you're just going up and then coming back down, I would allow at least a couple of hours. I've not done the second part, but I expect you should double that time, if not longer. An native is to get off the gondola halfway down and do the balcony walk to the train past the views of the glacier. It's a beautiful walk. I was not fit when I did it, but I loved it any way. I would highly recommend it. BTW Rick used to reference a place to buy sandwiches at the midway point. It was closed when I was there so don't count on it! Pam