Please sign in to post.

Central Europe

We are flying into Berlin October 2, flying back to U.S. October 27, so we'll have about 25 days. We're two retired public school educator couples who love to travel together.
We'll go by train between cities.
After Berlin, four nights,
train to Prague by way of a stop in Dresden, four nights,
Ceske Krumlov, ? nights,
Vienna three nights, one whole day devoted to Spanish Ruding School tours and performance,,
Budapest, three nights?
Salzburg four nights with day trips to Sound of Music, castles, Hitler Hill, etc., sightseeing destinations and Hallstadt, (private guide),
Munich, ? nights. Fly out of Munich October 27.
Extra days are built in for travel, rest, and flexibility. Remember we're seniors.
May need laundry days, as well.
Any suggestions? What should we not miss?

Thanks! Barbara, Jack, Joe, and Gloria. 😊

Posted by
7175 posts

Some time in Innsbruck / the Austrian Tirol.
A visit to lakeside Hallstatt in Austria. http://www.hallstatt.net/home-en-US/

Berlin, four nights
Dresden, two nights
Prague, three nights
Ceske Krumlov, two nights
Vienna, three nights
Budapest, three nights
Salzburg three nights
Innsbruck, two nights
Munich, three nights

Posted by
6544 posts

I'd say one night is enough for Cesky Krumlov, it's a small place and you'll have time to see it well the afternoon you arrive and/or morning you leave. Staying overnight there is a good idea because the day trippers get out of your way. Vienna might be worth more than three nights (two full days) if you're giving a day to the horses. I'd give Budapest more time too, maybe four nights, and I'd give Salzburg less, but I'm not a Sound of Music fan. Don't know Munich.

Posted by
7042 posts

I agree with Dick that one night is enough for CK as long as you have enough time on the day you get there and the day you leave. I arrived about noon so had most of that day and evening and then morning and early afternoon the next day (leaving about 2:00) and it was plenty of time for me to see what I wanted to see.

I would also add a night to Budapest. I'm a senior also and even though Budapest is touted as a city with a 'young' vibe I enjoyed it very much, even more than I thought I would. I felt very comfortable and welcomed there.

EDIT Just a note if it's the time for Laundry when you're in Prague, check with the TI people. They directed me to a lady who did my laundry while I was sightseeing - wash, dry, and fold for an extremely reasonable price.

Posted by
18052 posts

1 “Flying into Berlin on October 1” implies I guess that you land on October 1st.

2 Berlin
3 Berlin
4 Berlin
5 morning train to Dresden
6 morning train to Prauge
7 Prague
8 Prague
9 Prague
10 Morning to Shuttle to Cesky Krumlov
11 Afternoon Shuttle to Vienna
12 Vienna
13 Vienna / Melk
14 Vienna
15 Morning Train to Gyor / Pannonhalma Archabbey (spend night in converted 300 year old converted Carmelite Convent)
16 Morning Train to Budapest. (get an apartment with a washer / dryer or drop laundry with laundry lady next day)
17 Budapest (drop laundry with the laundry lady at Ó utca #24)
18 Budapest / Danube Bend (pick up laundry). Swan Lake at the State Opera House
19 Budapest
20 Morning train to Salzburg
21 Salzburg
22 Salzburg
23 Salzburg
24 Train to Munich
25 Munich
26 Munich
27 Home

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks so much, everybody. You all have helped so much.
Much of the fun of traveling is the planning and anticipation, and having your help makes it even more fun!

We actually land in Berlin October 2, so will have about 25 days for actual sightseeing before leaving the 27th.

It's so hard to cut anything down or out, for fear of missing anything. At our ages, this will be our only chance to see this region. It's a good long way from California.

So many places, so little time.

Thanks Again!!!

Posted by
15595 posts

I like James's itinerary, with a few adjustments.

Berlin - your first day won't be effective after the long flight/s and time difference. If you are interested in museums (some of Europe's best), you should add at least one more full day to Berlin.

Salzburg - Hallstatt for the castles? I was there last month and it was about the least interesting and most touristy site I've been to in recent years. The town itself was pleasant, but nothing special. I'd spend that day in just about any of your other destinations instead.

Posted by
18052 posts

Chain's recommendations are always good, but Berlin doesn't interest me much. Better history and better architecture and better atmosphere in all of the other stops. To make up for arriving a day later drop a day from Salzburg.

Posted by
2527 posts

"...Berlin doesn't interest me much. Better history and better architecture and better atmosphere in all of the other stops." Au contraire per me.

Posted by
868 posts

Better history and better architecture and better atmosphere in all
of the other stops.

What's better history??? I'm quite sure most people don't even know Berlins history, just the usual Nazi and Cold War stuff. To me the history of some of the other mentioned places, like Prague or Budapest, isn't that more interesting. Budapest for example became important only in the late 19th century, and earlier traces are as rare as in Berlin. But the good thing about Berlin is that it doesn't hide the bad stuff, unlike places like Prague or CK, which is a complete fake. But I guess more honesty would spoil the "better atmosphere".

PS: I'm with djp_syd. Dresden is the best base for day trips after Munich, it would be a shame to miss it.

Posted by
8 posts

I want to thank you all that took the time to reply.
Your experience has been very helpful. We have never been there, so had no idea how to prioritize.
I just knew I had to spend a day and evening at the Spanish Riding School in Vienna, and learn the history and culture, and visit World Heritage Sites, of each place.

I'm a little worried about not knowing one word of the Czech or Hungarian language. We know a few words of German.

Thanks Again, Everyone! 💚

Posted by
14562 posts

Hi,

From Calif you can fly non stop to Berlin...great option...from LAX with Air Berlin, otherwise with other carriers you change at Frankfurt for a connecting flight to Berlin. How are you going? On as seniors (so am I) having built in time for rest/down time, whatever you call it: good, that's needed, esp your itinerary includes the big walking cities...Berlin, Budapest, Vienna. There is also the night train option between Berlin-Vienna, Berlin-Munich, Budapest-Berlin, Budapest-Munich if you decide on any of these routes.

Posted by
7042 posts

Please don't worry about not knowing any Czech or Hungarian language. I didn't know a single word so I just printed out a list of basic words/phrases from the internet and took them with me. All you really need to know is: hello, good-bye, please, thank-you, do you speak English?, where is _____?, how much is this? I had no problem in Prague, CK, or Budapest finding someone who spoke English if I needed help with anything.

These are the lists I printed out to take with me:

http://www1.chapman.edu/~bdehning/ECAIS/Basic%20Czech%20Phrases.htm

http://wikitravel.org/en/Hungarian_phrasebook

If you're taking a smartphone or ipad/ipod with you, you can download apps for the same info, some with audio pronunciation. I just found it easier to read them on the train, etc. when printed.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks so much!
We have a one stop on Lufthansa to Berlin, changing in Munich or Frankfurt.

Glad to hear we can get by, language-wise. I always try to learn those basic niceties you need to show good will in visiting other countries.

Thanks, Everyone! 😊

Posted by
7175 posts

Martin, I too love Berlin, and history is everywhere, from Sans Souci in Potsdam to Potsdamer Platz in Berlin itself.

Posted by
18052 posts

Berlin History: I stand corrected. Each to what interests them and each 100% correct.

As for the Hungarian language, use your lists of words. The Hungarians will love you for the effort because they know how impossible their language is. Good thing is that most everyone under 30 speaks some English and most good English.

Posted by
8 posts

You guys are the best! I'm taking this all in, and will share with my crew.

Thanks! 😇. B

Posted by
14562 posts

On Berlin history...one of my favourite subjects in history. I heartily recommend Alexandra Ritchie's book, over a thousand pages, scholarly, comprehensive, balanced, erudite. Also, an older book on Berlin is that by G.Masur.

Posted by
8164 posts

When traveling to the Bohemian cities on your list, the only word you need to know is "beer"--en mass.

We're seniors (barely), but the first thing we do when we hit these cities is take a city "free tour"--tour guides working for tips. Then we'll take the "pub crawl" or "night life tour" they offer the first night. They'll introduce to all the lively places--most of which are inexpensive restaurants and beer halls. And the people on the pub crawl tours are of all ages and from all over the world--fun people.

Posted by
14562 posts

@ justbarb....you're welcome. Language wise you won't have any problems at all. Since you know a bit of German, you can use that along with English....all the better in communicating. On this last trip a month ago, I boarded the train going back to Vienna from a day trip in Budapest (well worth it), took a seat in a six seat compartment, and saw no reservation tags for any of the seats outside the compartment. Soon, this young woman walks in, sits opposite of me, looks at her ticket and reservation, and says in fluent, assertive, blunt English, "you're sitting in my seat." (i probably was according to her reservation) I replied in English saying the seats were unreserved and pointed to the no tags area. She said that it didn't matter in that controller wouldn't check. Since the train departed from Budapest, aside from other reasons, I thought the young woman was Hungarian. I asked, "No," She was of another Slavic nationality. I continued in English, " do you speak German?" Yes. Both her German and English were fluent. At that point i switched over to German, we talked the rest of the ride in German all the way to the terminus...Wien Westbahnhof.

Keep in mind BP to Salzburg is a long haul. You can take a bus from Salzburg train station to Bad Ischl, the summer Residenz of the Habsburgs.