Please sign in to post.

cell phones in Europe

I will traveling for two weeks in Europe, Heidelberg, Zurich and Italy. Is it practical to purchase a cheap unlocked cell phone and buying a prepaid sims card in Europe for making local and USA calls?

Posted by
34 posts

I am looking for that very same question to be answered. I will be Austria, Slovenia, and Croatia for 5 weeks and want a Cheap "unlocked" pre-paid cell phone. As I have family members who are elderly and I will be traveling into rural areas I think a cell phone will be necessary......Even if I end up getting a netbook, or tablet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. John

Posted by
32214 posts

Yvonne E, Have a look at some of the other Threads here regarding Cell phones, as you'll get lots of good ideas from those replies. To begin with, it would help to know whether you currently have a Cell phone, and which network you're with? Buying an unlocked quad-band GSM Phone is certainly one option, but buying SIM's for each country is a bit of a nuisance. If you'll be receiving calls from anyone, it becomes a bit complicated as your number will change each time you switch SIM's. Also, any remaining time left on your PAYG plan from one country would be "lost" when you switch to another SIM. It's not really the most efficient method! You could also have a look at the "travel phone" firms such as Call In Europe, Roam Simple, Cellular Abroad, Telestial or Mobal as they all offer phones and plans that work in multiple countries. Cheers!