Please sign in to post.

Cell Phones

I'm traveling Western Europe from Mid September through all of October. Have non-contract cell phones that will not work in Europe. Are cell phones necessary for travel in Europe. If so is there a reasonably priced non-contract cell phone provider anyone can recommend. We will be flying into and out of Frankfurt.

Posted by
32212 posts

Tony, Here's a few recent Threads to have a look at.... www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/84616/cell-phoneswhy-should-this-be-so-hard.html www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/85679/on-cell-phones-camerasbattery-charging.html www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/86963/unlocked-cell-phones-for-usa-and-abroad.html Cell phones are not "necessary", but if you feel they might be useful during your trip, they are certainly available. If you have further questions after reading the above Threads, post another note. Cheers!

Posted by
8680 posts

Type cell phones in Europe into the Search engine. Been asked and answered more than once.

Posted by
17 posts

I didn't know that. Will go there. Thanks.

Posted by
6788 posts

"Are cell phones necessary for travel in Europe." Sometimes a nice convenience, but certainly not necessary. People (including many of us) have been going to Europe for a long time, well before the invention of those #*@! things. Somehow we managed. That said, having a phone can be a nice convenience for some things. Only you can decide how important it is for you. It also depends on your personal style and what kind of trip you're taking.

Posted by
17 posts

We have rented a motorhome for 41 days and plan on visiting Germany, Netherlands, France, and Italy with possible visits to Switzerland and Austria. Trying to stay on back roads as much as possible. I think a basic cell phone is a good idea. The first responder to my post provided some good sites and I think I have found the phone we need. Thanks for your response.