Please sign in to post.

cell phones

What is the best phone to use in england/ireland.
att or t-moblie or nothing

Posted by
32212 posts

Tamara, It would help to know whether you presently have a Cellphone with one of the firms you mentioned? If so, is it a quad-band, unlocked model? Also, how long will you be in England and ireland? There are three basic options to choose from: > If you have a compatible phone with AT&T or T-Mobile, you can use roaming with your home carrier. > If you have a compatible unlocked quad-band GSM phone, you can use a SIM from one of the travel SIM firms OR purchase a local PAYG SIM when you arrive. > If you don't presently have a Cellphone, you can purchase an inexpensive PAYG Cellphone when you arrive. If you could indicate which option applies to you, I can provide some of the advantages and disadvantages of that option. Cheers!

Posted by
10230 posts

If you already have AT&T or T Mobile and only are going to use the phone for emergencies, you can just let your carrier know you will be traveling and use your phone there. They should also have an International plan that will lower your rates per minute by a small amount. Not really worth it if you will only make a few very short calls. If you need the phone for more than that and you have a phone from one of those companies you can have them unlock you phone and get a SIM card when you arrive. Warning: if you have an AT&T phone and DO NOT notify AT&T that you will be traveling, your phone WILL NOT work in Europe. My husband's phone worked on previous trips, but when we were in Italy/Germany this fall it didn't work, as he had not told them he was traveling. I never planned to use my phone there because I bought SIM cards in both countries. He just assumed that his would work.