Please sign in to post.

cell phones

My partner and I are going to Europe, 2 different countries for 2 weeks and meeting up at the end. We need to be able to communicate. Italy and Spain.
Any advice to the best idea? Rental prior to leaving? Purchase upon arrival?

Posted by
32206 posts

Lisa,

It would help to know whether you presently have a Cell phone, and if so which network you're with? You may be able to use your existing phone if you're on a contract plan with T-Mobile or AT&T/Cingular.

If you could provide some further information, I can provide some suggestions for you.

Cheers!!!

Posted by
1158 posts

Renting in europe might be expensive and not worth it at all.
You need an world phone or tri-band phone.There are many on the market now, but you have to amke sure you subscribe to provider that has service in Europe too.One is T-mobile, Orange in Europe.The service is better in Europe, I got more internet speed ober in EU than here in the US. I didn't talk much because it's very expensive, $.99/min in Western Europe, and more in Easter Europe, but the connection was good.
Anotehr thing you can do is to unlock your US phone and buy a SIM in Europe, it will be cheaper per minute, but remember that there will be a fee for the firts time connectiin, it's like when you get a new phone number.you still need a tri-band phone, though. I have a Treo 600 on t-mobile and it seemd to be very good abywhere I went to so far.

Posted by
38 posts

We currently have verizon, so I realize that I need either a SIM card or to purchase/rent something else. We will be in Spain and Italy and need to communicate for emergency purposes and to reconnect in Spain.

Posted by
32206 posts

lisa,

Thanks for the additional information. A few comments.

First of all, it's NOT possible "to unlock your US phone and buy a SIM in Europe". Verizon uses a technology called CDMA, which is NOT compatible with the GSM used by the rest of the world.

Concerning your statement "We currently have verizon, so I realize that I need either a SIM card". Verizon (CDMA) phones do not use a SIM card, so that's not an option.

OK, now for some suggestions.

1.) If you're on a contract plan with Verizon, you might ask them about their "world roaming" option. In order to do that, you'll likely have to change your handset to either the Motorola A840 or Blackberry 8830 (which have the two Euro GSM bands - the phones can NOT be used on North American GSM networks, which use different frequency bands). You will be subject to the roaming rates negotiated between Verizon and the GSM networks (in other words, your existing terms of service MAY not apply).

continued....

Posted by
32206 posts

Part 2:

2.) You could obtain rental phones from a firm such as www.cellularabroad.com (or others). The costs can be a bit steep (depending on useage), so be VERY clear on the rates.

3.) Buy a couple of unlocked, quad-band GSM Phones off E-Bay (of course, as with anything from E-Bay, "caveat emptor" applies). With the phones you can either use SIM cards from Cellular Abroad, Mobal or others, OR buy PAYG SIM cards when you arrive in Italy or Spain.

One note of caution though - if you buy SIM cards in Europe, you may be faced with high roaming charges once you leave that country. You can minimize these to some extent by using text messages rather than voice calls.

4.) Buy a couple of inexpensive Phones when you arrive in Europe (keeping in mind the costs of roaming if you leave the country where the phones were bought).

It's much easier for North Americans using GSM phones to travel with them (although the roaming rates for voice are a bit steep).

Hope this helps!

Posted by
38 posts

Definately, that clears up alot of my confusion. Thanks alot!!