Please sign in to post.

Cell phones

Help! I'm a 67 year old technophobe. I live in No.California with very limited cell phone service so have not made the leap into owning a cell phone. I will be spending three weeks in Venice next March. I do have a "Surface" tablet for emails and Skype uses, but I see I will need a cell phone to be contacted by local agencies while I'm there. I have no idea about purchasing a cell phone. Can I purchase one at Malpensa Airport or should I wait until I get into Milan, my first two nights stay before going on to Venice. Thanks to Rick Steves and his wonderful staff, I know I can purchase International calling cards to use on street side phones, but as I am renting an apartment there's no way family back home can reach me if an emergency other than email, or the other agencies there if they need to reach me. Multo grazie!

Posted by
9369 posts

I wouldn't bother with international calling cards - you won't find many public phones anymore. Just pick up a cheap cellphone when you arrive. You can probably get one either at the airport or in town, but I suspect you will find it cheaper in town. They come with minutes already included in most cases, so you probably won't even need to reload it. Let the shop set it all up for you and make sure you know how to reload it if need be. Then all you have to do is make sure that "home" knows how to call Europe if they need to, and give them your number.

Posted by
7 posts

Nancy,
Multo grazie for your tip. This is the one area I have the most concern since I'll be in an apartment with no phone. At the wifi bars I can use the internet, but that one other link is alluding me. This helps very much. Robert

Posted by
32321 posts

Robert, You have two basic options.... 1.) Buy an inexpensive PAYG phone when you arrive in Milan. I'd suggest waiting until you get into Milan, as there will be more cell shops there. TIM is a reliable network to go with. I believe there are both TIM and WIND cell shops at Milano Centrale (can't remember for sure but probably on the ground floor, two floors down from track level). Of course with this approach, you won't be able to provide your contacts with your number until after you arrive. Be sure that you're clear on the method for topping-up. 2.) Buy a phone from one of the "travel phone" firms prior to departure. The cost will be slightly higher, but that will provide a working phone as soon as you step off the plane. One minor point to consider is that many of those come with a U.K. phone number. Many use post paid billing (calls charged to a credit card) so no concerns about topping-up. You could also buy an unlocked, quad-band GSM phone off E-Bay or Amazon, and use that either with a SIM purchased in Italy or a SIM from one of the travel phone firms. Cheers!

Posted by
2081 posts

Robert, lots of good tips. i would like to emphasize what Ken says about being able to "top up" a PAYG phone. Ask questions on HOW you do it. If its via the internet, prepaid card or at a local kiosk. if you do buy a phone over there, try to get it "unlocked" and "quad band" so you can use it anywhere (mostly) you decide to travel. worse case, sell it at home. happy trails.

Posted by
7 posts

Ken,
This is valuable info. Grazie. Still don't understand what a "SIM" card is, but I'm learning. Robert

Posted by
7 posts

Ray,
Now I'm getting somewhere. Thanks for the tips. I still think I need some further education from my local Radio Shack. I have a "magnetic" touch; it seems whenever I touch a technical device I somehow... I must think positive. Multo grazie! Robert

Posted by
32321 posts

Robert, A SIM card or Subscriber Identity Module. is a small memory card which is insérted inside the phone and which contains the phone number and other subscriber account information. These are required with any GSM (Global System for Mobile) phone (used by about 85-90% of the world). The SIM card is placed inside the phone, either in a "bay" underneath the battery in basic phones or in a small tray in many Smartphones. Hope this clarifies things.

Posted by
11613 posts

A fellow technophobe! Not a barrier to travel, thankfully. I bought an inexpensive TIM phone four years ago, I just charge it up when I get to Italy, load some minutes onto it, and I'm good to go. This plan is good for one year from the last time it's used. TIM, Vodaphone, and others are all available, either at the train station or close by. Ask the seller to set the default language to English and make sure the time is correct - I also use it as an alarm clock. No camera, but it cost 29 euro including 10 minutes, so it's paid for itself many times. If you buy a TIM phone in Italy, there are service agreements with other European countries if you travel outside Italy.

Posted by
7 posts

Ken, Thanks for the definition. This really helps clarify the situation. I wonder what Marconi would say about all this! Mille grazie, Robert

Posted by
7 posts

Zoe, You gave me hope! I'm not alone in this world of buzzing telecommunications; I have pad, pen, and an envelope. Do I have to go to Liechtenstein to buy a stamp? Multo grazie, Robert