Please sign in to post.

Cell phone use in Italy

What should I do to get a cell phone that i can use in Italy? My current phone will not work there.

Posted by
2081 posts

Ray,

My current phone will not work there.

Q. do you mean your "current provider" will not work over there or do you mean your phone will not?

If your provider will not work over there, you maybe able to switch providers or you maybe able to upgrade your plan. you should ask and clarify what.

If its no to both then, you can buy one overthere if you want to wait. they are more than happy to take your $$$.

happy trails.

Posted by
8889 posts

Again, please clarify:

My current phone will not work there.

1) Is it that your phone is technically incompatable with that used in Europe? In which case buy a new cheap phone when you get there.
2) Your phone would work in Europe, but your current provider does not cover Europe. Buy a new SIM card for your existing phone, or the same solution as above.
3) Your current provider does cover Europe but it is not included in your current contract. Change your contract.

I was in a shop today, and they were selling cheap pay-as-you-go phones for €19,95. SIM cards start at 15. If you buy such a phone or SIM card, make sure you find out, before you leave the shop, how to add credit to it over the internet.

"they are more than happy to take your $$$" - not true, but they will be more than happy to take your €€€.

Posted by
3 posts

NO ... my phone will NOT work there. Not a provider issue. I am looking to pick up a phone there ... where? cost? add minutes?

Posted by
693 posts

TIM are a good cell phone provider in Italy. Their TIM Welcome pack plus buying a Sim card gives you very good data and phone calls for a month. They also sell cheap phones. A few years ago you could get a phone for around 30Euro.

The other option is to buy a compatible phone before leaving home and just get the sim and data/call pack in italy.

Vodaphone and Wind are the other two phone services.

Posted by
11613 posts

Last year I had to replace my old TIM phone, it was 30€. you can find a TIM, vodaphone or other provider in major train stations or in the area around them, as well as in some airports.

Posted by
32320 posts

ray,

I assume you're using a TracPhone or similar? It would help to have some idea what type of uses you anticipate for the phone in Europe, and whether you want just a basic phone or a Smartphone (with data).

Some of the options you could look at.....

1. Buy a phone when you arrive in Italy. Cell phone shops aren't hard to find and there are some in Termini station if you'll be transiting through there. TIM is the largest network so a popular choice with many.
  2. Buy a quad band unlocked GSM phone off E-Bay or similar sites and then just buy a SIM when you arrive in italy. Use the phone for this trip and for future travels.
  3. Buy a phone from one of the travel phone firms such as Roam Simple, Cellular Abroad, Telestial, Mobal or EuroBuzz (there are many others). These often come with a U.K. number but provide service anywhere in Europe with fairly consistent rates. Billing is often post paid (calls charged to a credit card) so no need to top-up. The advantage of this approach is that you have a working phone as soon as you step off the plane.
  4. Buy just the SIM card from one of the travel phone firms in in #3 and use with the shiny new phone you bought in #2.

Good luck!