Please sign in to post.

cell phone rental

I will be going to France soon and want to rent a phone ( before I leave US) as my phone won't work in France. I looked at Cell Hire and they look OK but wondered if there is a better company to go with. I will need the phone for about 10 days or so and plan on calling US several times. Figure I should get it a few days before I leave.
Thanks

Posted by
32322 posts

Susan, Renting a cell phone is often not the most cost effective solution, but there are a few firms that offer that. You might have a look at the websites for the "travel phone" firms such as Roam Simple, Cellular Abroad, Call In Europe, Telestial, Mobal, EuroBuzz, One Sim or Max Roam, as I believe at least some of them also rent phones. It would help to know which U.S. network you're with and what type of phone handset you're using? Happy travels!

Posted by
2081 posts

hi, you may want to look into buying an expensive cell phone over there. i got one (PAYG) in London for 60 USD and that included 10 pounds talk/www/text and a memory card. You could always buy more time too. happy trails

Posted by
9369 posts

I think Ray means an INexpensive cellphone.

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks for the info. Actually I have Verizon wireless. I spoke to them today and they really have a pretty good price. I just wonder if there is any problem with dropped calls etc. since they don't have their own towers.

Posted by
32322 posts

Susan, I doubt that you'll have problems with "dropped calls". The European cell networks are every bit as good as the ones in this area, and they have LOTS of towers. If you're travelling with Verizon roaming, you'll probably have better coverage than by using a locally bought SIM. Your phone will search for the strongest signal in each area, rather than being limited to one network (that's what I've found when roaming with my home cell network). Cheers!