Please sign in to post.

cell phone in europe

What is the best way to get my cell phone to work in europe? of course for the cheapest amount of money.

R.S. recommends calling around to check the hotels openings before traipsing all over town to the different hostels/hotels, what is the best way to do this?
I have a t-mobile cell right now.

Posted by
9363 posts

Search the archives here or just scroll down. There have been countless discussions recently about cellphones.

Posted by
101 posts

Call T-Mobile. They have a good international plan and rates. All you may need to do is add that option to your plan and you can make calls with your existing service. BTW, T-Mobile is/was a German company.

Posted by
121 posts

That link did not work prepaidgsm.com I tried adding an i in sim but that did not work.
Any ideas?

Posted by
32212 posts

Chantielle,

The fact that you're with T-Mobile is a good start, however there's one VERY important point you need to check. Check the Manual for your phone handset, to ensure that it's a quad-band model. If you don't have the two Euro frequencies, your phone WILL NOT work in Europe!

I encountered some young travellers from the U.S. last year in Italy, who were puzzled on why their "GSM Phone" wouldn't work. When I checked the phone, I discovered that it was only equipped with the two North American frequencies, so had to break the news to them that they were carrying an expensive paper weight.

I'd also suggest checking the phone charger to ensure that it's designed for operation on 220 VAC electrical systems. There will be a label somewhere on the Charger that states the "Input Voltage" specifications. A Euro Plug Adapter will be required as well.

If you're using a "Smart Phone" that accesses data (E-mail, web surfing), it would be a good idea to disable that while you're travelling.

I'd suggest speaking with someone at T-Mobile that is familiar with their international calling plans in order to get the best travel plan (not all rep's are knowledgeable on that).

Cheers!