Please sign in to post.

Cash in Europe

Ok.. so these credit cards are not going to work at train stations and such. How in the world do you get that much cash. If you have a 250 euro a day limit.. We are a family of 5. Will our London hotel still accept our credit card? I'm going to pay 450 Euros in cash for our Band of brothers tour. Our 4 nights in Germany at a bed and breakfast is all in cash. A deposti of 300 euros for our gite... Plus just spending money and eating money and buying such. Wll be in London for 4 nights, Paris for 2, Normandy for 4 and Germany for 4. Without chip cards, how do you do this?????? Christine

Posted by
1178 posts

The daily limit has not affected me as I travel alone. I understand the limit is placed by the banks in Europe for security reasons. Perhaps if you used more than one card. Or, you could place some of those charges on the card and not pay cash. I have had no trouble in charging to the card, even though I had drawn the daily limit that morning. Alternative, you could carry euros with you in your money belt. Have done this as well, but not as many as you are talking about. My travels have been in Spain, France, and England, but I think it would be the same in the other countries as well.

Posted by
23290 posts

Easy, the world is not ending. First, the American credit card is widely nearly everywhere. Only a few place with automated credit/ticket machines is it a problem. Everywhere else the card can be swiped andthe people are happy to do so. There is NO universal 250E limit on ATMs in Europe for security or any other reason. The max I have ever taken out is 750E. You face two limits your card issuer which you and your card issuer determine. My limit is a $1000. Second, sometimes a particular ATM will have a single withdraw limit that I have seen as low 250E. More prevalent in Italy and in high tourists area where they do not want the ATMs quickly drained of cash. That means you just do another withdraw or hit another ATM until you have hit your limit for the day. I rarely find limits on ATMs attached to banks during open hours which is what I always try to use.

Posted by
361 posts

At train stations I found my U.S. issued credit and debit cards from my credit union worked. As for the credit limit speak with you card issuing institution, share that you are planning a trip to Europe and request they raise your limit---Voila!

Posted by
23290 posts

That is true in large stations where there is a mix of old and new machines. But, as the old machines are replaced, the new ones will only take the European card. Then you have to use the ticket window. We complain along the line of how could they do that to us. Think of the Europeans who come here and their cards will not work either.

Posted by
4407 posts

A chunk of those train tickets probably can (and should) be purchased ahead of time online to save big bucks (& time). You CAN get Euro/Pounds/etc. from your bank, or at least some bank (and you can order from Wells Fargo online - good rates)...if you really need some the first few days. At least some museums are free in London... Be sure you bring at least two different ATM cards with you - sometimes one just won't work for whatever reason. Preferably, have access to two different accounts, too. IF one of your cards doesn't work in one place, try it again - and especially try it again in the next country...Sometimes, it's a 'country thing'. As the others have said, you just have to hit the ATMs hard and often. By the time you leave London, you can write a guide book to the ATM locations! You'll really only have trouble at French train stations if you try to use their automated ticket machines; as of 1 1/2 years ago, we had no problems using credit cards at the ticket windows. Germany is the basically same thing. London - I don't know...but I don't recall reading about chip-and-PIN problems in Great Britain...And FWIW, some ticket machines want you to leave your credit card in the machine until you've finished your transaction...so try that (but don't forget your card when you've finished!). I hope we've helped; don't panic! Just hit every ATM you see in London...Some people take photos of every meal, or every (numbered) hotel room door, or every plane they fly in - YOUR album can be filled with Mom or Dad using every ATM in London ;-)

Posted by
5533 posts

I've never had a problem using a U.S. credit card at a restaurant or hotel that accepts cards. However, one suggestion. You might consider opening a second bank account. I have two bank accounts so I bring two debit cards. One is an account with a low international transaction fee and this is the one I generally use in Europe. I bring the second one along as a backup. It has come in handy at times for just the reason that you cite (getting additional money out on a day). The other advantage is if one is lost or stolen, you still have a backup card.

Posted by
12172 posts

We've traveled as a family of five. Anyplace expensive will take your credit card (major hotel, nice restaurant, train station, car rental). Small budget options (hostels, curbside food stands, etc.) tend to want cash. The chip and pin card isn't something you will likely notice. Last summer we used our credit card occasionally. Anywhere that caters to tourists knows how to run your card. The all cash payment due up front is probably the biggest problem. That's the only case where it makes sense to bring cash with you. Moving between Pounds Sterling and Euro makes it more difficult too, you won't be able to stock up on euros from a British cash machine. My daily limit (USAA) is $600 per day. At current rates, that's a little over 400 euro, which should cover most out of pocket expenses. I normally "horde" extra euro for big cash expenses I know are coming (when the payment is due the day you arrive, however, you don't have an opportunity to do it). My wife also brings a debit from a second account as a backup - mostly in case of a lost/stolen card but also in case we need extra cash in one day. Maybe packing a second card from a seperate checking account along with bringing some currency will be your best bet. I don't see an advantage to converting ahead of time. I would bring some US dollars in your money belts and change them at a bank or exchange booth once in Europe. It costs to change money (here or there). If unused, it costs to change back also - while an ATM is the best deal, you can also save money by avoiding changing your money more than once.

Posted by
355 posts

I would suggest multiple checking accounts at different banks each with an ATM card. For several reasons. 1. The limit factor. If you have 2, 3, or 4 different bank accounts each with a 250 euro limit you can increase your daily limit to 500-1000 2. Loss factor. Keep the cards in different places. Husband's money belt, wife's money belt, another hidden elsewhere, etc. If you lose 1 and have to cancel the card...all is not lost. Just cancel the card and get a replacement back home, relying on the other accounts. OTOH, bring a card to one account and only one account and lose, have stolen or have eaten by an ATM machine and you are up the proverbial creek without a paddle or anyway to buy a paddle.