Please sign in to post.

Carry On Luggage Size

We have traveled to Europe, UK and Ireland for the past two summers and learned how much stricter the airlines are for carry-on size and weight is, than in the U.S. We traveled with Delta, BMI and Iceland Air. We have older carry on bags from Rick Steves. They have a total linear measurement of 46 inches. I included the wheels. However, on paper, Delta and Iceland Air state 45 inches is maximum. When did Rick Steves reduce the carry on size. Think we bought the bags about 3+ years ago? Should we be buying smaller carry on to accommodate the extra inch?

Posted by
19113 posts

As long as I remember, the total linear measurement for most airlines has always been 45 inches. I don't think Rick reduced it from 46". However, I see on the Iceland Air website that the max weight in 2nd class is 13 lb. The current rolling bag weighs "just over 7 lb." If all you can carry on is less than 6 lb, you might as well use a grocery sack. Might I suggest that you look at the Essential Carryon. It only weighs 1¾ lb and is only 43 in. If you put into it the less than 6 lb you can carry onto Icelandic Air in a 7 lb roll-on, you'll only have 8 lb - no need for a wheels. And it only cost $30!

Posted by
12172 posts

Normally people consider a 21" bag the max for carry-on. Unfortunately when you add fixed wheels and a handle , your 21" bag becomes a 22" bag and doesn't quite fit. You can either get a 20" roll-on or do as Lee suggests. My wife prefers a roll-on, I prefer a convertible. As long as her bag fits within the carry-on requirements, it's her choice.