Please sign in to post.

carry on luggage

I am planning on traveling to Europe in 2015 for about 3 months using just a carry on. Checking the foreign airlines carry on restrictions and they limit size to 20 inches for length and 15 pounds to 17 pounds. I live central Washington state and looking at using Lufthansa from Seattle. How do you get by with your carry ons?

Posted by
14 posts

Just flew Lufthansa, they allow you to check a suitcase under 40 lbs (I think). Carry on luggage is limited to ONE item along with a purse. Very strict on this.

Posted by
8 posts

Yes I could check my carry on and I understand that, Lufthansa restrictions for carry on 46" and just 17 pounds. You are also a 2nd bag, computer case and a coat. That is all I am taking but my carry on is heaver and most foreign airlines restrict the weight of 15-17 pounds and my question was is there people that have problems on the carry on weight? I do not want to check luggage and wait for it or loose it. I guess I could fly United or AA that I stay from both of these. Thanks for your reply.

Posted by
5697 posts

Check out the posts in the "Packing" section of Tips and Trip Reports ... many, many suggestions.
Also think about packing for train travel as well as planes.

Posted by
32212 posts

dan,

If you'll be using European airlines, some of them have either size and/or weight restrictions, and it may be difficult to find a bag that will be both small enough to meet all their requirements as well as contain enough for a three month trip. Some of the airlines also have a strict rule of ONE carry-on item per passenger, so you won't be allowed to also have a "personal item" such as a laptop case.

As you may be aware, you'll have to ensure that your trip doesn't exceed the three month Schengen limit (assuming you're not travelling on an E.U. Passport).

Posted by
11613 posts

The Schengen Rule is 90 days, not three months. I travel with a 20-inch rolling carryon (downsized from 22 inches) for 89 days. Key for winter is layering and making peace with doing laundry fairly often. Wear your heaviest items on the flight. For other seasons it's a little easier. You can find sample packing lists on this site.

Posted by
19099 posts

Lufthansa limits the weight to 8 kg (17.6 lb); dimensions 55cm x 40 cm x 20 cm (21.65 inches x 15.75 inches x 7.88 inches).

As Rick points out, no one can carry enough clothes for 3 months, but if you can get by with three days worth, washing every night, a few clothes will be enough for indefinitely. That's what I do. My 1¾ lb carryon, packed, weighs about 11 lb. I have enough underwear for three days, enough shirts for five. I wash a little every night. My last trip was for three weeks.

What I take is light enough that I could afford to take a wheeled bag, but I appreciate the lighter weight of a non-wheeled bag. If you take a five pound wheeled bag (which is light for wheeled bags), you limit yourself to just over twelve pounds of stuff. Think about it.

Posted by
2081 posts

danwash1950,

there have been some good suggestions.

if this is your first time traveling abroad, you will learn real fast on what you need and won't.

20 inch is just one dimension. There is the width & depth too. If you go to a local luggage/travel store and ask to see what they offer in terms of luggage you will soon have an idea on whats allowed. If you plan on making international travel a habit, then i would invest in some decent luggage.

some clothes you may want to avoid is cotton. Jeans take a long time to dry and are bulky. Think of doing the wash every week or so. Unless you want to do it in your bathroom sink.

as far as what you what to bring (pack) thats up to you.

just so you know some of the puddle jumpers overthere will have more strict luggage restrictions for carry on.

happy trails.

Posted by
7377 posts

Some airlines also use a limit of a certain Length+width+height total, some give specific length, width, and height individual dimension limits, and some have a rack at the airport that your bag has to be able to fit within to be considered acceptable for carryon. There's always the possibility that, if the plane's carry-on capacity is insufficient, the airline will make some passengers surrender their bags to be stowed in the luggage compartment, and they can be reclaimed at the destination airport.

We have one 22" bag that the manufacturer said is supposedly carry-on compliant, but the wheels and handle stick out just enough that the bag didn't fit inside the luggage compartment without turning it sideways. It worked on that flight, because there was enough space for it and other people's luggage, but it technically didn't fit when loaded wheels or handle first. Even if you're not traveling with something that's grossly oversized, you may encounter an occasional baggage circumstance you hadn't expected. And with a carry-on, just make sure you aren't carrying any restricted sharp objects or excess liquids/gels to make your passage thru Security uneventful.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks everyone as this helps. I have traveled a lot to South America and Central America and mostly in an an american domestic airlines. And to China with my Osprey Porter 46 travel pack which is a 22" x 14" x 9" without any problems as a carry on. I have never been to Europe so was not sure of there tolerance on there restrictions. Yes I k now of the 90 day limit. In Peru I was there 6 months but I acquired a 90 visa in addition when there. I believe in some countries you able to app;y for this visa when there if needed. Thanks again. Daniel

Posted by
19099 posts

Most US airlines have a 14"x9" cross-section while a lot of European use 15.75"x7.88". That makes the cross-sectional areas almost the same. As long as you have a flexible bag (roller bags are not usually flexible) and it is not stuffed, it will deform to fit either regulation.

Posted by
8 posts

Understand that but do not use a roller bag. It just the 8 kg that is my problem. I may have to check the bag going to Europe and a smaller bag for carry on. it would help if I was not taking my light weight hiking boots as not able to buy boots to fit in Europe, 11.5 EE here in the states and broke in. The only place I have had problems with lost luggage or cut is here in the U.S.

Posted by
4156 posts

Wear the boots on the plane.

Verify that visa assumption. Most discussions here seem to say that you need to get it before you go if you plan to stay beyond the 90 days

Posted by
8 posts

Starting to rethink my going to Europe as they have too many problems get there for me and I enjoyed Peru and Colombia a lot and also China. Thanks for all the information, sorry to wast your time.

Posted by
11613 posts

Have to disagree a little bit with Lee; for three months, I need a week's worth of clothing (fewer bottoms but more tops). things happen (stains, rips, etc.) on a long trip that makes it difficult for me to keep everything looking fresh indefinitely, without spending a chunk of money and time at laundroworld.

Posted by
11613 posts

Daniel, not a waste of time if it helps you decide. Enjoy your travels.

Posted by
6525 posts

Really, Daniel? Give up on Europe because you might have to check a bag? Or because you can only stay 90 days? Nothing against the places you've been (I loved China), but Europe has a lot to offer and 90 days is a long time (and the UK doesn't count in the time limit so you can add time there). We'd rather not check bags but we do because we need to carry some additional stuff and Europe is worth it.

And, in case it wasn't clear from other posters, the European budget airlines won't keep you from bringing what they consider "oversize" bags, they'll just make you check them and charge you for them on top of their otherwise very low fares.

You must have some good reasons for planning a trip to Europe (I know I do, whenever I can). So I hope you think about the big picture. And, for sure, you're not wasting anyone's time. We're all volunteers! :-)

Posted by
2081 posts

danwash1950

"Starting to rethink my going to Europe as they have too many problems get there for me and I enjoyed Peru and Colombia a lot and also China. Thanks for all the information, sorry to wast your time."

step back, take a breather and count to 10.

I have the Porter 46 also. Guess what. That was and still is my only luggage i use except the briefcase size bag i made for college and i still use it. Also guess what. Ive been traveling to Europe for about 3 years now with that Porter 46 and so far no issues.

If you read the fine print with regards to carryon, size and weight you will get an idea on what they will allow most of the times.

I've only been "checked" once for my porter since i didnt have the compression straps cinched and they wanted me to place it into the wood box gage. Of course it wouldn't fit w/o the compression straps, so i just used them and no problem.

weight. That can be tricky since you dont know if/when they will ask to weigh your bag. ON one of my legs this year they only allowed 1 carry on. so i had to do a gate check in.

re read the size/weight restrictions and make sure you are not confusing cm with inches and kg with pounds.

I have not had any issues with a 17 or 20 pound limit.

if you pick and choose what you bring carefully, you should be able to meet the weight restrictions.

as mentioned if you are bringing some bulky/heavy stuff, wear them on the plane. It will save you some space.

happy trails.

Posted by
8 posts

Ray thanks for that information. I check all the airlines that I thought I might use or not and all have carry on requirements as well as check baggage requirements. The reason I wish to use Lufthansa is I am able to go from Seattle without several flight changes and I read that they have good service. But they are in a financial bind at this time so looking else where also. I am flying first class, not that I am better than other people or have to show of but is a long flight and baggage allowance are better. 2 bags at 8 kg each ( 17 pounds ). No I am not confusing kg and pounds or inches and cm. A very good point you brought up. a As you I have use the Osprey Porter going to China without problems. It sounds like if the size is good then they do ot check weight. as often. Thanks on wearing the heavy garments like a jacket on the flight. I am taking jacket with zip fleece liner that zipped together and worn will help. Going to Switzerland up in the alps where may be cool.
Do this by myself or I might have a rolling checked bag also. Thanks Ray

Posted by
7377 posts

Hey Daniel - I may be wrong but I'd bet a nickel you'll be the only passenger in 1st class with just a 17-lb. carry on bag or two, wearing light hiking boots. :-) Not that this will change your plans, but be aware that security screening at European airports now has often allowed people to keep their regular shoes on, but boots and heavy footwear often still have to be removed for scanning. Have a good flight(s) and a great trip!

Posted by
16893 posts

Packing light is very worthwhile given how often you will handle your bag on planes, trains, hotel stairs, etc. But keeping it under 17 pounds is an ambitious goal that most of use can't manage. There's nothing wrong with checking a bag, and it generally costs less if you plan ahead to do so on the budget airlines.

Posted by
8 posts

I do pack light I thought. I take things I can layer with if need be. Will not be going to U.K. or France as no interest for me. Mainly Switzerland, Croatia, Italy. Slovenia, Greece and a part of Austria. Then to the Ukraine for at least a month to Odessa and Kiev to visit a friend. Was go to go to Yalta but was unable to obtain a Russian visa for there now. Do not why as they do not advise you of why just no. If I go I will travel as I do to China and Peru.

Posted by
2081 posts

danwash1950,

I havent been to China (yet) but if you look at my profile it will show you where, up to this day. I fly out of PDX and use AMS as my "hub" into Europe. Currently I use Delta/KLM from my hop to Europe since they are the only direct, non stop fight from PDX to (AMS) Europe (as of now) and i understand trying to minimize your transfers. It appears that KLM/Delta maybe more generous with the weight allowance than Lufthansa. But i can say that no one has asked to "weigh" my luggage, so far. The only time my luggage is weighed is then i check it in.

As mentioned before some of the puddle jumpers have different restrictions.

I have never traveled for 3 months (yet?) and if i did, i wouldn't change my packing or what i would bring with me. Im sure since you have traveled before, you know what you need to bring.

Just a comment. Those restrictions are their rules, not law. So if you need to check in your luggage and you exceed it, they will probably just charge you for the overage. Just be aware of it and be prepared to fork out more $$$.

one thing you may want to look into if you dont have, but look into some lightweight/fast drying clothes. They dont have to be "travel" but it maybe worth it for your future travels to find some. I dont bring any jeans anymore and all of my clothes now are quick drying and light weight.

i had to buy a new jacket since my previous one of 15 years wasnt cutting it anymore and it didnt have a hood. But i bought one that is (according to mfg) water/wind proof, breathable and has a built in hood. Its medium weight so i can wear in our winters and be fine. I can squish and roll it down into where it will easily fit into a 5 L stuff sack. Since it will go smaller, i will make a custom stuff sack for it to maximize my space in my luggage. This trip i left it in my Porter and it didnt see the light of day. But on previous trips i wore it on the plan and sat on it during my fight.

On my undies, i have switched to all marino wool underpants, t-shirts and sox. I find that it keeps me at a moderate temperature and it will dry in a few hours. if i need to wear them more than once, they dont stink either. Also if its cold in the room, they dont have that cold touch when i first put them on like cotton will do. I still wear cotton at home, but my travel clothes is different.

If you have any electronic devices with chargers/adapters that are USB powered, look at dumping the adapter/charger part and just get USB cords. Then look for a outlet adapter with USB ports. Its not a lot of space/weight, but you can save on both if you can go USB. there are some adapters that have 2 USB ports.

toiletries. I dont bring my toothpaste with me, i will buy it once i arrive. I dont want deal with TSA saying your 1/2 oz over the limit so i just dont go there. On my trip back home, i will leave it at my last stop. Again, i dont want to deal with the TSA. Same for soap, i will buy it overthere.

If you want to bring souvenirs home, think about shipping them back home. Some people will say its expensive, but that relative and also dependent on where you are. So far, Germany, Austria and the UK have been "expensive" in my opinion but that hasnt stopped me from using them. Some of the countries postal service will have their own version of the USPS Priority Mail boxes too so you dont have to look for any shipping boxes. Some will need to be purchased, some not. You can root through their web sites and find rates for shipping back home and make your own decision if its too "expensive". I buy souvenirs from each country/city i visit and its usually something like Hard Rock Cafes shirts so those will fill my pack really fast. I will send them back and also any travel books i dont need anymore along with any decent chocolates that happen to catch me.

good luck and happy trails.

Posted by
12172 posts

Start with a bag that doesn't take up all your allotted weight. I use a Campmoor Essential Carry On, It weighs less than two pounds.

Limit what you bring. Everything that goes in to your bag should be something you will use regularly. You don't need ten or twenty pairs of underwear, bring a handful and sink wash them regularly (I pack three pairs).

If you plan your tops and bottoms to all mix and match, five tops and three bottoms gives you fifteen possible outfits. Two pairs of shoes is plenty (one worn, one packed). Both should be good for lots of walking, one more casual the other more dressy.

If you buy clothes there, make sure they go with what you have packed then jettison (or give away) something in your bag (at least before your next flight).

Stop every couple of weeks at a laundromat and wash everything.

Pack early, weigh your bag, and let it sit. Think about whether everything in there is really what you want to bring, replace items with better choices over a couple of weeks. Think of ways to save weight rather than what you can add (bags always expand during the trip). This will help you avoid packing mistakes.

Wear your heaviest clothing items on the plane (shoes, jacket, pants, etc.)

Posted by
672 posts

Fly another air line. We have taken carry-ons to Europe that weigh more than 8 kg on airlines such as US Air, Austrian Air, United, etc. Sometimes we have been asked to check them (without weighing) most likely because the airline wanted less carry-on bags on board.

Posted by
2746 posts

Four Lufthansa legs this summer, both of us with very full Rick Steves' convertible carry-ons, we had weighed them at home and they were near 17lbs. They never asked us to weigh them. Nor did I see anyone have their carry-on weighed at the various gates, although I did see a sizer.

Posted by
8 posts

Changed plans and I am now have plans to go from Buenos Aires, Argentina to Tierra del Fuego all the way up the pacific coast and to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska on my BMW adventure motorcycle. this fits me better. Almost 4 month trip and about 24000 miles.

Thanks everyone for the information. Just received the conformation today. For me this better than any European trip. I have been to South America before so this is is in a comfort zone also. I no desire to to the U.K. or France at all. I am band from United when I filmed a ramp person cutting my checked bag in Chicago. No big deal as there service was bad.

Posted by
32212 posts

dan,

It's great to hear that you've found a holiday solution that fits your preferences. That sounds like quite a trip, especially on a motorcycle.

It seems odd that United would ban you for a criminal act committed by one of their employees?

Have a great trip!