Please sign in to post.

Carry On Luggage

I am considering purchasing the Rick Steves 21" Roll Aboard Travel Bag. The ad indicates that it is "carry on friendly". We prefer to always carry on our bags. My question is for individuals that own this particular bag. Has anyone had any problem with airlines refusing to accept this bag as carry on luggage? I would appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Posted by
19099 posts

Unless you fly an American flag airline, which generally have a 40# weight limit, and rent a car so you don't have to pack the roll aboard bag around, I would avoid it. Most European airlines have weight limits (Lufthansa 17.6#, KLM 22#), and roll aboard bags weigh about 5# more than carry-on bags, so you'll be reducing the actual stuff you can take by 25-33%. Note, if you have a 7# roll aboard and you fly Lufthansa, you can only safely take 10½# of stuff. Put that in a 2# non-roller bag and it's only 12½# - not that hard to carry.

Personally, I try to reduce my carry-on weight to a minimum, so I got an Outdoor Products Essential Carry-on from Campmor at 1¾#. I think my bag was under 15# (maybe under 14#) when I left the last time. I couldn't do that with a roll-aboard.

I think the 21" refers to the compartment size only, and with the wheels and handle it exceeds the 21.65" permitted by European airlines, but, although Lufthansa has sizing bags by every gate, I have never seen them check (although they have weighed my bag at check-in) and I have seen them allow people bring obviously oversized bags on at the gate.

Posted by
2193 posts

While I can’t comment on that particular bag, it would be too big for my liking. I agree with Lee that you should attempt to go as small as possible with respect to your hand baggage. We always have, but I surprised even myself on this last trip. Swiss has restrictions very similar to their parent, Lufthansa: One bag at 8kg (just over 17 lbs) max weight and 55x40x20 cm on dimensions. I bought a new messenger bag this year (SwissGear by Wenger) that was several cm smaller than the allowable dimensions. I was a little worried about the bag being big enough, but I easily packed all of my regular things plus a smaller Timbuk2 messenger bag inside. The whole thing, including guidebooks and camera, came in at just under 13 lbs. Even Icelandair would accept this bag. This reply didn’t really answer your question, but I thought that it might help someone who may be considering downsizing from their current carry-on bag. I’ll also add that Swiss was not closely monitoring their own policies…there were passengers with bags much too big for their limits. I didn’t really care but made a mental note of it.

Posted by
1568 posts

I have Rick's 21" Roll Aboard and have carried it on: KLM, United and Lufthansa with no problems.

Keep it under the maximum weight limit.

Posted by
15069 posts

It depends on the airline you're flying. As Lee mentioned, the 21" is for the bag only and does not include wheels or handles.(I used to own one and when measured came out to just under 24".) When the airlines give dimensions, they include everything.

As long as there is space, you shouldn't have a problem if you stick to U.S. base carriers only. European carriers are difference and each one has their own rules. If you plan to fly intra-Europe, some of the discount carriers are very tough--in both size and weight.

In today's world, always be prepared to check any wheeled bag as more and more people are carrying on.

Posted by
1825 posts

I have this bag and love it. As many have said, on domestic flights you probably won't have a problem, but in Europe carry on restrictions are tougher. However, that said, sometimes they don't monitor the weight and size very carefully-I even managed to get mine on Al Italia last September. Just be prepared that you might have to check it at the gate.

Posted by
19099 posts

Instead of just gate-checking all over-sized bags, they should just require those people to stand aside until all those with regulation bags are on board, then if there is space left they can carry their roll aboards on.

Posted by
1265 posts

If only domestic airlines monitored carry-on baggage the way European airlines did the world would be a better place.

Posted by
2745 posts

I have used it on trips to Europe for several years. I have never had a problem with it being a carry on.

It would not have met the one "budget" airline requirment I flew so I checked it then, but I am not going to get down to 10 lbs (or whatever) and I don't want to use a backpack so that's a trade off I am willing to ake.

Posted by
19099 posts

Last September I flew home from Duesseldorf. There were two boarding lines, but most passengers didn't seem to know about the second, so as I stood there, waiting for my section to be called, the attendant just told me to board. So I was sitting in my seat, watching the other passengers board. I notice that those with obviously over-sized, wheeled bags were putting them in the overhead rack crosswise, so that they were taking 24"-26", maybe more, when they were only supposed to have 16". So that's one of the things I have against roller bags, those people selfishly taking more space in the bins than they have the right to have, and depriving other, rule abiding passengers, of their space.

Posted by
19099 posts

I am not going to get down to 10 lbs

You don't have to. Take a 2# convertible bag and you get 15.6# of stuff (on Lufthansa, or take a roll-aboard and suffer US Air).

Posted by
15069 posts

People don't really understand what they get for their money. Your ticket entitles you to a seat and nothing more. There are no "rights" to overhead bins. It is on a first come, first serve basis. If you can't fit your bags either in the overhead, or under the seat in front of you, and I've seen people try to use all the seats in front of them for their stuff, then it has to be checked. (Nowhere in the Contract of Carriage does it say you have a "right" to overhead bin space.

Non-wheeled carry-ons do not have more rights that wheeled carry-ons. If the airlines don't enforce their rules, then the problems occur.

True, if you have a non-wheeled bag, you can argue that it will fit under the seat in front of you. But if the flight attendant or gate agent insists it be checked, you have two choices...check it or not fly.

Almost all descriptions for wheeled bags DO NOT include wheels and handles. Just the bag itself.

If you truly want a wheeled carry-on bag that fits most airlines size requirements, it's best to look for something about 19" long.

Posted by
553 posts

Lee -- a question about your bag from Campmor... how does it compare to the Rick Steves convertible bag -- the older original one? It appears to be the same size, but a little lighter? I'd like to find a bag that is similar, but just a tad smaller, like maybe 19x7x14...no wheels.

Posted by
553 posts

I agree with you, Joel. If the American airlines would be consistent in what they allow people to carry on, things would be a lot better. :)

Posted by
19099 posts

Hille,

I'd like to find a bag that is similar, but just a tad smaller

I think the Campmor bag is shorter and an inch narrower. It does seem smaller, but I also am looking for something smaller yet.

I have several reguirements. I'd like to find a bag that is similar, but just a tad smaller. It has to be "blocky", a rectangular solid, to take maximum advantage of the allowable LWH. None of this tapering sides or rounded top, which only results in less volume for the same dimensions.

It has to have hideaway straps. Open straps hang up on bin hardware and other passenger's luggage.

One open compartment is fine. I already use a system of smaller bags to organize my pack.

No more than 1¾#.

I want something shorter, about 18"-19", so it is visually smaller than maximum carry-on size.

Finally, I would prefer side "cinch" straps to "tighten" the load, although if it is smaller, these might not be necessary.

Posted by
15069 posts

Lee, how about this bag...almost everything you want and if you don't pack it too tight, I believe it fits all your requirements:

Patagonia Lightweight Duffel

If you go to Youtube and plug in "Patagonia Lightweight Travel Duffel" you'll get a couple of videos showing off the bag and what it can hold and one specific on the use of the hidden backpack straps.

Posted by
588 posts

I have this bag and it has been carried on with no problems. It is so much lighter than most roller aboards. You still have to watch the weight especially with Luthhansa. I love it and one of my friends is now going to buy it.

Posted by
19099 posts

Frank, is there a place (store) where I can examine that bag in person.

I'm a little concerned because no view seems to show the shoulder straps. Is there a reason they are not showing them. That's a really important aspect of the bag. I'm not willing to spend $100 online for something I'm not sure about.

Secondly, I'm not sure about the 50 denier nylon (Rick uses (used) 1000 denier, my Campmor bag is 500 denier). I didn't want the extra weight of the 1000 denier, but I fear that this bag would be awfully flimsy, hard to handle if not packed to bulging.

BTW, thanks for all of your help on this.

Posted by
15069 posts

Lee...did you see the Youtube videos on this bag? It will show a lot.

Here are links:

Patagonia Lightweight Duffel 1

Patagonia Lightweight Duffel 2

Patagonia Lightweight Duffel 3

I don't know where you can see it locally. Contact Patagonia and ask.

I don't own the bag myself so I can't give you any opinion. Between my Tri-Star and OPEC bag, I'm fine.

Ebags has this on sale, in Brown, for $80 and offers free returns.

Posted by
31 posts

The two best bags on the market are: Tom Bihn's Tristar and Redoxx's Air Boss (See:www.tombihn.com and www.redoxx.com). The bags are not cheap but the best never is, and, these American made bags are garanted for life

Posted by
19099 posts

Based on my experience, the two best bags on the market are NOT: Tom Bihn's Tristar and Redoxx's Air Boss.

Both are way too heavy, over 3#, which totally disqualifies them for carryon.

I already have a bag (Essential Carryon, 1¾#, $33) that is head and shoulders better, functionally and pricewise, than either of those bags. The only thing I was asking for was 1) the same characteristics as the Essential Carryon with 2) a little less height and 3)cinch straps. I think for $200 I can find someone to put on cinch straps for me, but I was hopeful for something already on the market. I guess I'll have to live with the extra height.

Posted by
1449 posts

since nobody has posted it yet, let me post the link to http://www.onebag.com/ This site has a comprehensive discussion of what to pack and how to choose a bag, including recommended suppliers.

personally I own the MEI Voyageur bag (3.5 lbs) and am very pleased with it. It has a lightweight internal frame so it is sturdier than a bag like Ricks (a nice bag, BTW) which can be a bit floppy since the only rigidity in his bag comes from the stuff you're carrying. It has a nicely padded waistbelt similar to that on a backpack that makes it easier to carry the weight on your hips rather than your back, and the straps can all be tucked away for storing in an overhead bin. One thing I like about it compared to the RS bag is that the compartment zipper is at the end of the pack width so the sides hold everything in while you're packing it; the RS bag has the zippers about in the middle so you need to stack stuff until you can zip it closed.

Posted by
15069 posts

Lee....both those bags are too heavy for your needs, but they are not then "disqualified" for everyone.

I have a Tri-Star and have no problem. I NEVER FLY LUFTHANSA SO I REALLY DON'T CARE WHAT LUFTHANSA'S RULES ARE. However, I can get all my stuff in the Tri-Star and keep it under the 17.6 lbs Lufthansa requires if I need to. Or, I just fly airlines that have better carry-on rules.

I pack by what I need, not by how much stuff I can get in. In fact, the Tri-Star holds less than the OPEC bag so I have to pack wisely.

Posted by
19099 posts

At first, the Lufthansa weight limit kept me "on track". Now I'm nowhere near it. My objective now is to have as light a pack as possible to carry (consistent with holding everything I really need). 3.9# vs 1.8# is 2.1# of extra pack I have to carry. I've gotten the weight down, but I haven't found a pack that goes along with it.

BTW, if Lufthansa raised their weight limit tomorrow to, say, 20kg (44#), I wouldn't carry anything more than I do now, and I would still be looking for a smaller, lighter pack.

Posted by
15069 posts

Lee, if you really want to travel light....follow this lead. It's the blog that went with the videos of the Patagonia bag...and it weighed less than 10 lbs.

Less than 10 lbs

Of course, you could take less, leave the backpack home, and get a Scottevest vest or jacket. With it's multitude of pockets you could just wear that and stuff the pockets with what you need.

Or, follow Tim Ferris' lead:

How To Travel the World with 10 lbs or less

But just because someone packs differently than you doesn't mean it's wrong. You have your ways of doing things, and others have theirs. And why should it bother you?

Posted by
19099 posts

I'm looking for something similar to this. This has hideaway straps, weighs only 1¾#, costs only $33. It's just a little too big for me (21" high), but otherwise almost perfect. Cinch straps would help.

Posted by
15069 posts

Here's some info from another website where someone added external compressions straps to the OPEC bag:

I added straps similar to these from REI. I only added them on the sides, like the ebags weekender. My goal was to keep the rectangular configuration (while compressing it down). I feared that going around the whole bag would cause it to roll up like a burrito. Keeping the rectangular configuration makes it easier for carry on storage, and makes the bag look innocuous.

Adding compression to the bag when it was less than full did stabilize the bag, but it is still pretty soft. Compression also made the bag look even smaller. Even after I added the straps, the bag was less than 2 pounds. The straps cost $2.50 each x 4. I cut the straps in two pieces and then melted the raw ends with a flame to prevent unraveling. If you look at the weekender picture you'll see that the strap is cut near the buckle, and the other end of the strap is mostly tail. This allows for maximum compression. I took the bag to a shoe repair place and showed the shoe repair guy what I wanted. Like I said, he actually opened up the side seams and stitched the straps into the bag (like the weekender). This avoided all the problems that would have arisen with the pockets if he had tried to stich the straps to the back and front of the bag. The cost of the labor was $18. Total cost of bag plus straps plus labor was $58 US dollars. This is the same cost as the ebags weekender. HOWEVER, the bag is a full 2 pounds lighter than the weekender, so I think it is worth the hassle and cost.

Posted by
31 posts

Lee-I have that same bag you mentioned as well. No way. No way it is better than the Tristar or Redoxx. Not in quality, design, durability, or whatever category you want to look at. But, that's the great thing about the Free Market system--we all have choices!!! So, you use your bag and I will use mine!!Good luck and happy travels to you!!!

Posted by
19099 posts

No way it is better than the Tristar or Redoxx "in" whatever category you want to look at.

The category I look at first is weight!!!! They both are totally inadequate in that category.

And considering the cost difference, it is better in almost any category per doller.

Those bags are probably better made. So was the ETBD convertible bag (2.4#) I previously used. I got tired of carrying ¾# of "better made" around every day.

I've used mine for three trips so far and it doesn't show any signs of wear, etc. Design, quality, durability are everything I need. How much more should I pay for more than I need.

Frank (II): I have contacted a tailor about adding cinch straps but I have yet to arrange a meeting.

Posted by
31 posts

Like I said, to each his own!!! You stick with your bag and I will stick with mine!!!

Posted by
973 posts

We have 2 Outdoor Products Essential Carry-on from Campmor. Have used it twice to Europe as my daypack. It was very floppy with a laptop in it and I didn't trust the zippers- but it didn't break. I don't really like it but it works, darn it, just as the chartreuse sweater your aunt made keeps you warm but isn't stylish.
I'm going to try some of your sugggestions for compression and stability. I recommend adding padded grips to one handle and a padded strap for more comfort. The main handle is adequately shaped.

I've also used it domestically as my backpack with a rollaboard as my main suitcase. There are plenty of small commuter jets that frequently accept a softsided piece and not wheeled ones. I'd rather have the RS case, the Outdoor Products bag is jellylike- but lightweight. RS bags are on sale, too.

Posted by
85 posts

I know everyone has made a big deal about 2# bags. We've done three Europe trips with the ebags weekender:
http://www.ebags.com/ebags/weekender_etech_convertible/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=15026

It is over 3#, but is well made, has zip away straps, great compartments, rectangular shape to maximize space utilization, AND the zip front pockets give me a place for guidebooks, tickets, etc. so that we can get to day use things without messing with our clothes. We've carried them like backpacks and walked into 4 star hotels with them zipped away like suitcases. Better yet -- they're on sale for about $56 now.

Posted by
19099 posts

I switched from a better made Rick Steves convertible bag (2½#) to an adequately made Outdoor Products Essential Carry-on (1¾#), because I got tired of lugging 3/4# of "well made" around. Next trip, if TSA doesn't screw everything up, I'll do it with a 1¼# Appenzell bag.

Posted by
3 posts

Lightweight carry on luggage such as Eagle Creek bags offered by Bergman Luggage are the best. They come at affordable prices & have superb quality.
http://bit.ly/4Y1PN8

Posted by
50 posts

Consider an ultralight backpack. e.g. Gossamer Gear: http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/pack_matrix.html
There are other manufacturers as well.

The GG UL backpacks range in weight from 7.5 ounces (YES OUNCES) to 22 ounces and in capacity from 2200 c.i. (20#) to 3600 c.i. (30#). They are just a big sack with a roll-down top and a bunch of mesh side pockets (for non-valuables, of course) with straps and (some) with waist belts). If you pack your gear in tight, they don't need a stiffener because they have no frame (some have two carbon rod side stays for stability). You can pack a z-lite pad in a mesh pocket on the back panel to stiffen them. This adds a few ounces (12), but also comes in mighty handy as a pad for relaxing on the ground in parks or on wet benches.

Posted by
1 posts

Most airlines require carry-on luggage to be 22" x 14" x 9” or 45” or less in total. I use a carry-on expandable wheeled upright from Briggs and Riley and have never faced any issues during check-in or getting it past security. In fact, the bag has a SpeedThru design for quick security screenings. The bag can be expanded for an additional 30 percent packing space just at the press of a button. It comes with a front pocket ideal for storing and quickly accessing tickets and travel documents. It also has a waterproof pocket for carrying toiletries. George, you may want to look at this or other similar products.