Please sign in to post.

carry on luggage

We will be taking Lufthansa flying to Turkey and taking United coming home. United airlines site for carry on-14 inches x 9 inches x 22 inches, lufthansa airlines site for carry on- 55 cm x 40 cm x 23 cm( 21.65 x 15.75 x 9.05)....
and the one I bought yesterday is 22 x 16.9 x 10...so do you think I will have a problem with one of the airlines and bringing this on board?

Posted by
11613 posts

Kathy, it depends on how the airline checks baggage. If there's a bin and it fits in the bin, you'll be fine; if the airline weighs it, the size doesn't matter as much as the weight (I had to check a 21" carryon because it was over 12 kilo - Amsterdam). The method of measure seems to vary from airport to airport.

Posted by
713 posts

It's a good habit to have anyway, but with a bag that exceeds the carry-on limits (not rocket science), be prepared for the roller bag to be gate-checked. Be sure you have a (zipper closable) large purse or tote bag of some kind in which you can put your ID, medications, delicate electronics, and anything else you'll want to have at hand during the flight, and that the tote bag will fit under your seat. You can use the time between clearing security and boarding the plane, to organize your stuff that way even if you didn't pack that way before going to the airport. (Might as well take advantage of those wheels to transport stuff as far as you can.) Bags can be gate-checked for any reason, not limited to exceeding size/weight limits, such as security considerations and there simply being no more room in the overhead bins on a full aircraft. Based on my observations a few years ago while traveling in New Zealand, where they had weight limits for carry-ons, I think your chances of having your carry-on weighed before boarding, increase along with the size of the bag. So even if your big roller might somehow be shovable into the sizing box, it could be eyeballed and pulled for weighing anyway. (Yes, I know this isn't a trip to NZ, but I think that airline/airport/security staff behavior might be somewhat consistently motivated in other places. And if they are concerned about weight on the day the OP flies, they're likely to choose the bigger bags ahead of the smaller ones, to confirm weight.)

Posted by
23548 posts

You are totally dependent on the checkin/gate personnel. I have stood in a couple of Lufthansa check-in lines where they put every bag in the sizing box. If it didn't fit, it was checked. And fitting included the wheels and handle on wheeled bags. That is generally where rolling bags fail. If you have a potentially oversize bag (which you do) then don't pack it tight so that it can be stuffed into the box. I have found it easier to get by with an overweight bag that looks small rather than a bag that looks larger but is lighter. Good luck.

Posted by
1446 posts

Exactly what Frank said. I use both the roll-aboard and the classic Rick Steves bags, which have the exact same dimensions: 21" x 14" x 9". The roll-aboard has an inch or so more in height due to the wheels. The classic bag (convertible backpack) has never been pulled, measured or weighed - go figure! I usually just use one freed-up shoulder strap when I show up at check-in with it. Most of the time, the roll-aboard is weighed at check-in. A few times it has been gate-checked (because of the dimensions) and only a couple of times was I forced to give-it up at check-in because it was too heavy. So now, if I anticipate having excess carry-on weight, I choose the classic bag (and make it "seem" lighter - LOL!). Most of the time though, I use the roll-aboard. The convenience of the wheels make up for the extra bit of time it may take to recover the bag, if it's gate-checked with the strollers.

Posted by
19237 posts

I have often seen a sizing frame next to the Lufthansa gate in airports. If you have a soft sided bag (like the RS convertible), it should squeeze to fit as long as the total cross-section is less than 143 sq in (15.75 x 9.055) on Lufthansa, 126 sq in on United. 16.9 x 10 is larger, so if the bag is rigid (like a rollaboard) or stuffed full, it probably won't fit. More often, I have had the bag weighed. Lufthansa's limit is 8 kg or 17.6 lb, so if you are starting with an 8 lb rollaboard, you're almost half way there without anything in it. I use a soft-sided convertible bag, and I find I get closer to the weight limit than I do to the size limit (I once came back with some books - 26 lb but still within the size limit. They didn't weigh it, fortunately).

Posted by
19532 posts

I don't want to recommend this to anyone because there are no guarantees in life, but : We do a lot of our trips with nothing but carry-on luggage. Usually with a hard shell carry-on and a small shoulder bag. The shoulder bag holds the valuables, medicines, etc. We have used Walmart quality carry-ons and we have used Ricks convertible back pack carry-ons. They all worked okay. About five years ago my wife purchased a couple of hard shell carry-ons from Brookstone. They are about 1" too big in one direction to meet most airline's limits. Still, while we have had them gate checked on flights with small planes (where almost no one's carry-ons fit) we have only had them stopped once. The one time was Virgin Air and it was for weight. These bags weigh no more than most cloth bags but do protect things better and they don't get snagged when you try to pull them out of the overhead compartment. If I were younger I would probably go back to the Rick Steve's bags but right now I appreciate the wheels.

Posted by
12313 posts

I always fly within the stated rules so nothing is left to chance. One of the problems with roll-ons is the length added by the wheels and handle; they can't be adjusted to fit. Have you measured your bag? It's possible 22" is even longer if it's a roll-on. If it's otherwise softsided you may be able to "shrink to fit" a lightly packed bag into the required dimensions. Another problem with roll-ons is the added weight. Lufthansa also has a weight limit. Your bag, in addition to fitting the limited dimensions, also needs to be under 8 kg. (17.63 lbs). We always check-in online, print our boarding passes and go straight to the gate. For an SAS flight (same requirements as Lufthansa) a gate agent walked around the waiting area and measured bags. When we arrived, I didn't notice any gate-check set up; I think the bags went with checked baggage - which defeats the purpose. I'd plan on being measured and be pleasantly surprised if you're not.

Posted by
19532 posts

Brad, I think you are entirely correct. Thats why i dont encourage anyone to do what we do. We have traveled internationally no less than 24 times in the last 10 years. Most of the trips included trips within the trip and except for the one instance we havent had a problem. But that may only mean that we have been lucky. If there is a problem we have our valuables and the absolute necessities in a shoulder bag so we are not going to be distrubed if the airline wants to check our bag; not a problem if it happens and better if it doesnt. For us at least. Everyone needs to weigh it independetly.

Posted by
85 posts

I always went with only carry-on (Rick Steves's luggage) 22 in roller bag and never had any issue.....until this last trip. Believe it or not I had to check the bag at Boston's airport......not overseas. But it now has me worried so much that I am thinking of just checking the bag when we fly to Europe next year since we have a few inter Europe flights. I would rather do it before hand instead of after......

Posted by
19532 posts

Sherri, to be honest we fret over this on every trip. On return trips we almost always check our bags now. I dont care near as much if they get lost on the way home. But we still carry smaller shoulder bags. While using carry-on removes the fear of lost luggage it does pose another stress, that of getting on the plane early enough to find room in the overhead compartment. Now that the airlines charge for checke luggage that has become a big deal. While we were 100% carry-on for years we have recently tried out a couple of (definately legal small carry-on bags (also Brookstone hard shells) and one moderately sized checked bag. We split the packing so that we have enough for a few days in the carry-on and sometimes we carry special event clothing (suits and dresses for the Opera, sometimes fishing wadders) as well in the Carry-on if the special even is going to be within a day or two of arrival. While it seems to be working I miss the freedom of 100% carry-on.

Posted by
19532 posts

Sherri, to be honest we fret over this on every trip. On return trips we almost always check our bags now. I dont care near as much if they get lost on the way home. But we still carry smaller shoulder bags. While using carry-on removes the fear of lost luggage it does pose another stress, that of getting on the plane early enough to find room in the overhead compartment. Now that the airlines charge for checke luggage that has become a big deal. While we were 100% carry-on for years we have recently tried out a couple of (definately legal small carry-on bags (also Brookstone hard shells) and one moderately sized checked bag. We split the packing so that we have enough for a few days in the carry-on and sometimes we carry special event clothing (suits and dresses for the Opera, sometimes fishing wadders) as well in the Carry-on if the special even is going to be within a day or two of arrival. While it seems to be working I miss the freedom of 100% carry-on.

Posted by
2841 posts

On our one trip via Lufthansa no one batted an eye at our pair of Rick Steve's convertible backpacks on our backs, no trip to the sizer (they clearly fit), and no one weighed them. This was in Krakow, Munich and Dulles. The final leg of this from Dulles was a United plane.

Posted by
19237 posts

Since 2000, I have had 18 trans-Atlantic flight. Six were with Lufthansa and an RS convertible ( non-roller) bag, all without having it checked. Four of my last 6 trips have been on Lufthansa with a smaller Essential Carryon bag, also without having to check it. I think Lufthansa is very reasonable, as long as you follow the rules (roller bags don't, so don't blame Lufthansa if they make you check it). At least they try to keep "bin hog" out. Maybe that's why I never have a problem finding bin space on Lufthansa. Service on Lufthansa is so much superior to the US flag airlines I have flown; if given the choice, I will always choose them.