Please sign in to post.

Carry on luggage

Traveling to Europe. Will be traveling on Aegean Airlines at one point. Will they accept my 22inch "rolly suitcase"...My concern is they will make me check it at the gate and it is usually filled with my good camera, meds and things I don't want to check. What would be an alternative to prevent this.. or a good bag to carry in addition "in case" it gets checked at the gate.
Thanks

Posted by
1883 posts

Bring a day pack or messenger bag or cross body bag to keep your camera, meds and other important items. Personally i would never pack my camera in my "rolly" carry on. It's always with me in a "personal" item bag that fits under the seat in front of me. The brand of the extra bag doesn't matter, nor does the style - you pick a bag that feels good for you when you carry it. It has the size and pocketing that makes sense for the way you travel, and the items you need to carry in it. What matters is that you keep your expensive and important things with you at all times, "just in case" !!

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks, Ellen.... I have always put my most important things in the rolly bag for the plane and now with all the changes.. guess I will have to think differently. Your suggestion(s) were wonderful... I will look for a bag to carry just in case they tagged my carry on... Tory

Posted by
1976 posts

Hi Tory. I agree with Ellen - don't put anything important in a bag that might be checked. Put everything vital (for me, a camera is vital) in a bag you know you can carry on, just in case they make you check your suitcase.

Posted by
32822 posts

What does their website say? I would have thought it could have provided the answer more accurately than we could - and it would be up to date...

Posted by
5535 posts

Put these items inside a bag in your rollaboard. If for some reason, you need to check it, you can open your suitcase and remove the bag before checking.

Posted by
19099 posts

My first advice is, Dump the Rolly. First, it might be too big. The carryon allowance is 55cm; that's 21.65 inches, including wheels and handles, and European airline ofter have sizing boxes to determine if a carryon is legal. You can't fool the box. If the wheels and handle stick out too far, it won't go in and you'll have to check it, Second, most rollaboard I've seen weigh between 7 and 10 lb. That's between 3 and 4.5 kg. You are only allowed 7.6 kg, which leaves you only 7-10 lb for your stuff. You could carry that much in a grocery sack. Get a nice 2 lb convertible carryon bag and bring 15 lb of stuff.

Posted by
4407 posts

Laura STOLE my idea LOL! ;-) Of course, not checking a bag is the safest, but you may not be able to do that due to health limitations, etc.

Posted by
2788 posts

I, too, have a small bag that I always carry onto the plane containing stuff I do not want to loose to the "security staff", regardless of if I am checking my 21" roller-bag or not. I bought one that hooks onto the top of my roller-bag so that they are combined when hauling both around.