Please sign in to post.

Car Rentals

As I plan a trip for next fall a thought arises - I will need a car for a major part of the trip ( England and Scotland ) and given the effect the pandemic has had on the availability of rental cars , I wonder about the possibility of a car not being available in spite of having a reservation . While I normally travel by rail , that would not be possible on this trip ,given the locations I will visit . Of course there are no assurances , but this article in The NY Times raises some good points and helps to explain the issues . The last two paragraphs are particularly helpful . If you are considering a rental , this is food for thought ( unlocked link , no paywall ) - https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/26/travel/rental-car-missing.html?unlocked_article_code=7oFqgHG1jEg11teqpVXw1_ceAjdRKiEPsKsWNIz9-RyNr9Z3YytI9BPRVpDBkvFqGAYuK64TIm8YRQfTfdm_Typ7cLungbeJSv1f1Oj7NTrqZHsEBScsfmR7BGYFNik-jbI2m7VwG1CLOr74tj1LaZ6TBmdnt5EzdIyFhstoEQtVp4lHxsqX_NtwEAY-OGhTxsLX545bQ_ZQzgI_WSuprBcn70kNfUV_0MW3KbfBx8cyLFm0NSaaNUuFmxwzGWYb2wMYKI-WaWdZfhV-IuVINyG24IcI7U9N087C4QKSebsmC1tDSaE04_f1O-U54wFYH7SGYR3VHc1Mwhs&smid=share-url

Posted by
6788 posts

The solution is actually pretty simple and reliable (yet only mentioned in passing by the NY Times' "advice columnist" among nonsense such as signing up for the rental company's VIP program and hoping for the best).

Prepay for your rental car. It will be waiting for you.

I recall arriving at the airport in Olbia, Sardinia. I walked from the terminal to the rental car building. I was concerned when I saw a long line from the counter going all the way out the building door. Everybody in that line looked unhappy. Luggage was piled up everywhere, couples were arguing, kids were crying, I saw people yelling at the counter staff. It looked like people had been waiting for hours. I overheard one person grousing, "No cars!".

There were in fact multiple lines: one for people with reservations (that was the longer line), another for people with no reservations at all (they seemed even more angry and hopeless). I carefully walked up to the counter and quietly asked the staff about the line for people who had a prepaid voucher for a car. They asked if I had a prepaid voucher. I held up my paperwork for them to see. They waved me aside (apparently, I was that line...), grabbed a clipboard hanging on the wall that had some more paperwork - and car keys - and we started going through the formalities; they reviewed my voucher paperwork, photocopied my drivers license and passport, I showed the credit card, they handed me a map, we confirmed details, the usual ceremonies.

In less than 5 minutes, they were leading me past the people in line (and getting more than a few dirty looks from them), out the door to the parking lot, and to our car which was ready and waiting. We checked the car as usual, stowed our bags, and off we drove.

I always prepay for car rentals, just like I prepay for my airline tickets, whenever I can (I book European rentals through gemut.com, they make this easy). As long as we're all living in that Seinfeld episode, I can't see any reason not to. YMMV.

Posted by
6558 posts

I’ve never had a problem with vehicle availability when I had a reservation. In the UK we’ve always picked up the vehicle at either Heathrow or Edinburgh and have rented through a major chain, e.g., Avis or Enterprise. We are preferred members and we do provide flight details.

Posted by
4140 posts

Jaime , In the past I've also never had a problem with rentals , but with the pandemic fueled cut in inventories by most of the rental companies , it's become a consideration . David ,I think your perspective makes sense , I'm inclined to prepay this time around .