Please sign in to post.

Car Rental Insurance

Is there a general insurance company that you can sign up with to cover rental cars? I always suspect the plans that the rental car companies give you are inflated. That being said, in looking at different rental companies (Spain and Italy), it seems some come with insurance with 900 eu deductible, and others charge 50%-150% of the rental price for insurance. So I am trying to figure out what to do. I do know that my US car insurance won't cover any of it.

Posted by
269 posts

What does your credit card cover? That's where I would look first after talking to my insurance company.

Posted by
749 posts

I don't want to deal with anything should something happen while I'm there , so I figure it's part of the cost of international travel. I just want to return it or have them tow it if something should happen. I just want to walk away. So I just buy the full coverage from the car rental company; rather than try to save money. (It's all a gamble, game and inflated prices.)

Posted by
939 posts

I have had all the worry associated with car rental and insurance or not. But since I found that my Allianz annual insurance policy covers car rental insurance, I am relieved. It covers to $45,000. I spoke with them about it. For Ireland, which is known to not be covered by some CCs. Plus they said they would deal directly with the rental company. Since I had such a thing happen once already from Allianz in regard to a hospitalization overseas where they talked directly with the hospital, and I walked out without anything out of pocket, I believe them.
So, for me going forward I will depend on the rental insurance through my Allianz annual.