Please sign in to post.

Car Rental

We are thinking of renting a car at Edinburgh airport to drive to our B&B in Edinburgh on day one. Glasgow on today two and St. Andrews on day three. We feel that having a car would give us flexibility to explore the countyside a little without having to be tied to a train schedule. Any thoughts? Any positive experiences? How is parking in Glasgow and St. Andrews?

Posted by
5678 posts

Jennifer, I love having a car in Scotland, but I think that it would be a mistake in this trip. First, you absolutely don't need it in either Edinburgh or Glasgow. And the train to Glasgow is a snap. The drive is not that scenic. Now you might use a car to explore Fife and St. Andrew's. However, if you are mainly focused on St. Andrew's I think I would do the train for that day as well. Pam

Posted by
629 posts

We enjoy renting a car when we're in Scotland and will be doing so again in May 2011. You can stop anywhere you please for picnics and photo ops. Stirling is also a worthwhile stop on your way to St Andrews from Glasgow. Be aware that a roundabout's signage doesn't always state the next major city but just the next town along the route. Also it will take a little while to get used to shifting gears with your left hand. A GPS is nice but not necessary. Parking should be no problem depending on the area of the cities. Other than that have a great trip!!!

Posted by
668 posts

Parking in St Andrews is not a problem. Glasgow has a variety of Multi-storey parking lots, depending on where you are going. They are not cheap. Are you staying in Glasgow or just a a day from Edinburgh? If the latter, I would take the train. St. Andrews from Edinburgh is not as straightforward as a map would indicate. Much of the driving is on narrow roads. The coastal road through the small towns is interesting - see Ely, Anstruther, Lower Largo, Culross, etc.

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks for all the responses! We are staying in Edinburgh and will be taking day trips to Glasgow and St. Andrews. My grandma is from Clydebank and we will be visting her childhood home/school, etc. I am not sure if this can be accomplished by train. I think having a car would be lovely, especially to make stops in towns or for pictures along the way to St. Andrews.