Please sign in to post.

Camera Question

We have a digital camera that is a little bulky 4.1 mega pixels. We are looking for a smaller camera with the ability to take very good pictures. Any ideas or favorites to recommend? Thanks Jim

Posted by
61 posts

I just recently got a Canon Powershot SD1200IS. It's lightweight, thin, large LCD screen, I believe 8 MP, 10 zoom. I have been very happy with the pictures so far - very crisp and clean. My favorite feature is that it has a special zoom-in capability when on macro. Oh, Amazon has it at the cheapest price.

Posted by
102 posts

Hey Jim,
We've got a Sony cybershot. Nothing fancy just a point and shoot. Took a while to get the hang of it. Really have to be still when shooting. For distance shots you almost have to be tripod still. It's a must to have a deep memory stick and just keep shooting until you get a clear one. It's worth the hassle however because the photos are very crisp and clear.

Jim

Posted by
32216 posts

Jim,

For a "smaller camera", you might have a look at the Canon SD-xxx series. They're very compact, easily fit into a shirt pocket and are capable of taking short videos. The Canon A-xxx series models are quite popular also, and not too large.

However, keep in mind that with a compact Camera there will be some "compromises", included limited zoom range, limited wide angle capability, usually limited range of manual controls and limited ISO range (which is especially important for shooting in dark places without flash).

I tend to divide Cameras into three basic categories:

Compact P&S - easily carried, good battery life and capable of good pictures under ideal circumstances. Limitations as noted above.

Super Zoom - these are a bit larger but have excellent zoom capability, which is usually image stabilized. Often these have a better range of manual controls to allow photos under a wider range of conditions. Canon and Panasonic both have good Cameras in this category.

dSLR - the most flexible and capable type of Camera, but also the largest and heaviest (especially with all the Lenses and other gear that usually go with them). I'm assuming from your post that you're not interested in hauling around something that large? Canon and Nikon are the two most popular brands in this category.

Although you didn't ask about larger Cameras, I thought it might be useful to describe the different types so that you could decide which type would be most suitable. If you find a Camera that you like, have a look at www.dpreview.com to see if they've done a review on it.

Happy travels!

Posted by
951 posts

I have a sony cybershot DSC-T200, 8.1 megapixels. It is about 3 years old. It is small, sleek, and takes good pictures. However, 2 years in a row, about a week into my Europe trips, my camera has seizures. I think it is the focus element vibrating like crazy. I wonder if it has a cold sensitivity because we go to Europe Nov/Dec and we live in Florida. It NEVER does it to me here at home. But maybe it is because I do not take 3000 pictures in a 2 week period. So if you go with a Sony product, you may want to inquire to the sales person on this vibration issue that makes for messy photos and total frustration.

Posted by
12172 posts

I would probably go with a Nikon, Canon or Sony. They all have great optics and take excellent pictures (I haven't personally used a Sony but hear good things about the optics).

Look for 5x optical zoom, a large view screen, long battery life.

Other pluses are vibration control, video mode, quick picture taking (time from pushing the button to shutter release).

The really small cameras come with only a wrist strap, replace it with a thumb drive neck strap.

Posted by
655 posts

If you can find the Canon SD880 (American version of the 870 mentioned above) it is a great camera and one of the few small ones available with a wide angle. It is no longer produced but some stores may still have it and the do appear on eBay at times.

Otherwise, consider the Canon SD1200. It takes great photos, and offers many features for the price. I think that it is less than $200. Check Amazon. For a trip, I would take a spare battery.

Posted by
307 posts

I use a Canon Powershot SD1200...excellent camera...lightweight, very compact, great quality pictures with a variety of settings, can take video(with sound), can be mounted on a small tripod, built in flash that can be turned off if desired, settings for low light, makes breakfast...lol....okay, so it doesn't make breakfast, but a great camera nonetheless...

Posted by
1265 posts

Jim - I have 2 cameras I take with me on vacation. A Nikon S570 very nice and compact 12.0 megapixel, and 5X optical zoom. I also take a Canon Powershot SX10. I is 10 megapixel and a 20X optical zoom.

Here is a link to a camera review website. www.imaging-resource.com/

Posted by
213 posts

Check out the Canon G11. It gets excellent reviews for picture quality--much better than most compacts--and is used by serious photographers who want a top-notch compact in addition to a DSLR. Since "very good pictures" is your criterion, keep in mind that not all compact cameras, especially the 12+ megapixel cameras take good pictures above their lowest ISO. Various compacts have different sizes of sensors; as a rule, the smaller the camera, the smaller the sensor. The tiny super-compact cameras are okay for casual snapshots, but do not expect to get anything from them that could make a high quality 8x10 enlargement. Also consider if you want a camera that takes only JPEG photos or can also take RAW photos which make better photographs (but have to be processed through a RAW converter such as in Adobe Elements).

Posted by
409 posts

Absolutely love my Christmas present this year (well, I bought it for myself!)...Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3K 10.1 MP digital camera w/ 12X optical zoom. Amazing features packed in a small camera. Got it at Costco on sale for a great price...came with a nice belt carry bag and a 2 GB card.

Posted by
1883 posts

Sony Cybershot for me as well. It takes great photos and has settings for low light and beach bright light.
My camera is 4 years old, and is still great.

Posted by
92 posts

I like the Canon Powershot A1100 IS for travel. It uses AA batteries (rechargeable or regular) and has a view finder, is small and takes great photos for a point and shoot. Weighs 5.4 oz (155 gm) w/out batteries.

Posted by
3 posts

Jim,
I have had many different brands of digital point and shoots, including Kodak, Panasonic, Canon, and Nikon. My hands down favorite is my current camera, a Panasonic Lumix DMZ253. Megapixels don't really matter unless you want to blow photos up to poster size. The most important feature for using a point and shoot while traveling is OPTICAL zoom. Don't worry about digital zoom, it's really meaningless for travel photography. If you can find a point and shoot around 8-10 megapixels, and a high optical zoom (mine is 12x), you will be able to take photos of things that are further away at a good resolution. I HIGHLY recommend the Panasonic Lumix. You can do comparisons at the awesome website www.dpreview.com.
Good luck!

Posted by
113 posts

Like Roy, I bought a Panasonic Lumix at Costco last fall. It was supposed to be for my wife but she thinks it's too complicated...not any worse than most p&s. I got the DMC-ZS1. The ZS3 has a few extras, but I don't think I'll miss any of them. I really like the 25mm wide angle. The camera is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket (not in a pickpocket area). So far the only negative comment I have is the high cost of a spare battery (I don't like being without one). We have always used Nikons that use AA batteries.

Posted by
92 posts

I have traveled with my Canon Powershot G6 (7.1 mega pixels) and have taken SLR-like pictures with it. It's sort of a cross between an SLR and a point and shoot. I believe it has been replaced by a newer model. It fits in my medium-small purse, but not necessarily well in jacket pocket. A newer version of this camera, or a Canon point and shoot, that is a bit more sleek in design, with a good lens will serve you well.

Posted by
8691 posts

Part of my job is photography based. I swear by the Canon Powershot Digital Elph cameras. Presently using an older SD880 IS which is 10 megapixels. The newer
SD890 has 12 megapixels. Have taken some great pics with SD880. Very pleased with the easy installation package (for your computer) and battery charger that comes with it. All around easy peasy camera to travel with.

Posted by
32 posts

I want to thank you all for the valuable information!!! :-) Jim

Posted by
149 posts

I bought a $200 Pentax Optio W60 for shooting underwater photos on Maui (good to 3 meters depth). Now I use it all the time, and it fits in my pocket. It is 10 megapixels, wide angle to zoom, and is waterproof/dustproof. My family vacations with all-terrain vehicles at the sand dunes and this is the only camera I've had that can go out in the dunes without being damaged by sand. It shoots pretty good movies too, both underwater and above.

Posted by
149 posts

I bought a $200 Pentax Optio W60 for shooting underwater photos on Maui (good to 3 meters depth). Now I use it all the time, and it fits in my pocket. It is 10 megapixels, wide angle to zoom, and is waterproof/dustproof. My family vacations with all-terrain vehicles at the sand dunes and this is the only camera I've had that can go out in the dunes without being damaged by sand. It shoots pretty good movies too, both underwater and above.