Please sign in to post.

calling cards in Europe

I have a short stay in Hamburg, then move on to Prague. Are there any calling cards I can buy good for both countries? My Blackberry is not set up for International Calls. Thanks

Posted by
1152 posts

Yes. I think most calling cards you can get either here in the U.S. or when you arrive in Germany will let you call from both countries. The rates may differ for Prague, but I'm not sure for that. For example, the AT&T calling card I got years ago at Sam's Club charges me the equivalent of 12 minutes of an interstate long distance call for a call from Hamburg to the U.S. (Current cards are sold at prices that would equal between $0.04 and $0.07 for a U.S. interstate call.) A call from Prague would cost 18 minutes of time. Not great rates, but it gives you some idea of the difference. You can apparently do better with a calling card issued overseas. I've kept a bit of money on my AT&T card just as a backup to use if needed, and I've had to use it a time or two. As an alternative, Skype will give you better rates. Your Blackberry may let you connect to Skype over wifi even though the phone won't work as a phone. I know I can do so with an Android.