Please sign in to post.

Calling 800 numbers from France

I've just booked our car for France in June with Autoeurope. I was worried that our train could be delayed from Paris and would arrive after closing in Cahors. Autoeurope said if that happened to phone them as soon as we arrived in Cahors and they would just change the pick up date. They gave me an 800 number and said to dial 00-800-233-5555-5. Has anyone called an 800 # from France? Isn't this too many 5's?

Posted by
4555 posts

It's called a "universal international freephone number," a toll-free service used in 60 countries around the world. You find a lot of them in Europe, allowing toll-free calls across national boundaries. The number of digits you see is correct.

Posted by
864 posts

I'm assuming you're using a cell-phone that's been enabled for international calls. I've always put in (say for a B&B) the + sign, country code (say 44 for London England)and local number in my cell phone directory (I happen to have Cingular). I've never tried using a 800 number from Europe but would be very interested to find out from others on this web if it works.