Please sign in to post.

Bulgaria-Singing In The Rain and Gene Kelly

Singing in the Rain performed on a warm breezy summer night in Plovdiv’s Roman Amphitheatre by a (famous) Bulgarian cast was a treat beyond description.

First premiered in New York in 1952 the movie Singing In The Rain has many memorable songs like Make-em Laugh Good Morning Good Morning and of course Singing In The Rain A hit from the beginning the Iconic movie with that incredible dance scene still resonates.

The cast of Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds and Donald O’Connor made you leave the theatre singing.

So it was in Plovdiv where the all Bulgarian cast doing the stage version of Singing in the Rain had us smiling from ear to ear. NO English subtitles...they weren’t really needed. Although I wish I had been able to be in on more of the jokes.

But the thing that struck me most, the sell-out crowd of overwhelmingly Bulgarians who came to see this Icon of American movies performed some 66 years later in a Roman Amphitheatre built in the 2nd Century AD. The fact alone that the American Musical Theatre and this Play in particular has such legs is amazing.

We laughed, we sang and we danced up the steps of the theatre with the sold-out crowd of Bulgarians and smiled all the way home.

Posted by
2469 posts

Wow! All I can say is WOW. I adore this movie and have seen it performed on the stage here in Atlanta - my friends who went with me, to a person, will say to me, remember when we saw Singing in the Rain? At least 10 years ago, a favorite.
I love your vivid description of your experience, thanks for sharing!

Posted by
3961 posts

Incredible! Beautiful description of an iconic musical. How special to view this in a Roman
Amphitheatre. I will never forget sitting in the front row at the 5th Ave. theater (Seattle) enjoying this happy musical. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Posted by
94 posts

What a wonderful experience! Thank you for sharing. It’s moments like that that we treasure long after our suitcases are unpacked!!

Posted by
4140 posts

Sorry to be a curmudgeon , but the film with Gene Kelly dates from 1952 . The Broadway Stage version is more recent , from the 1985 - 1986 season . The song predates both the film and stage versions , from 1929 . In any event , how did they manage the Rain scene in an outdoor theater ? American Musical Theater also has a wide following in Vienna and Budapest .

Posted by
10188 posts

Steven spent his career as a Broadway musician—so not a curmudgeon—but somewhat of a historian in this and many other areas.

Wonderful experience seeing that show in that setting.

Posted by
2527 posts

We've been in that venue for a performance. Wonderful experience.

Posted by
467 posts

Wow how very cool! How did you find out about the show?

Posted by
546 posts

Steven is absolutely right and that is what I get for letting someone else do the research for me. But my post my responsibility.

The first performance was in 1983 on stage and the film from 1952.

I will edt my original.

Posted by
546 posts

This was part of the annual Opera Open Series here in Plovdiv and I found out abou t it by having a drink and a delicious meal at a restaurant close to the ticket kiosk.

After dinner we wandered over and bought tickets for Verdi's Il Travatero and two nights later Singing in the Rain.

The best 20 Lev I've spent here (A bout $11) for exceptional seats.

Posted by
11294 posts

"American Musical Theater also has a wide following in Vienna and Budapest ."

And in Germany, particularly Berlin and Hamburg (always performed in German). Cats ran in Hamburg almost as long as it did in London or New York!

The industry in Germany is so vigorous, many US musical theater performers have spent time working there. Most famously, Donna Summer was in the original German production of Hair.

Posted by
2602 posts

Interesting--I just saw a splendid rendition of Singin' In the Rain at the Operettszinhaz in Budapest in May--there were super-titles but really, it's such an old favorite they weren't needed. All Hungarian actors. The actress playing Lina Lamont had an excellent whiny tone that captured the role as played in the film by Jean Hagen. It was beyond delightful and a definite crowd pleaser--Hungarians applaud for a good 10 minutes at the end, each actor gets at least 2 ovations, then the couples, then the cast, repeat a couple of times, exhausting but wonderful. It struck me just as it did you how amazing it was that this show has endured for so long.

Posted by
4140 posts

As Harold reminds me , Berlin is indeed a major center for Musical Theatre . This orchestra , begun in the 1980's by the German singer , Max Raabe , is a wonderful repository of many of the classics of theater and cabaret from the twenties and thirties , For a real treat , watch this program , but if you want to skip to Singin' in the Rain ( without Gene Kelly ) , start at 14 : 00 . - Max Raabe and The Palast Orchester , from The Admiralspalast , Berlin https://youtu.be/eDA_CQDLE6Y

Posted by
8660 posts

One of my best London Theatre experiences was seeing the quintessential American musical Guys and Dolls. 3 encores and ovations for the actor's rendition of 🎼 Sit Down You're Rocking The Boat.

Definitely not surprised Singing in The Rain was performed and appreciated.

Posted by
37 posts

In reply to Steven 's post about the rain, Saint Louis' outdoor theater, the Muny, has done Singing in the Rain several times over the years and always had rain for the scene. I think it was set up on the overhead rigging. Of course, there were the times we had actual rain, too. (Also had falling snow for White Christmas)