Please sign in to post.

Budget 2012

We will be traveling to Spain January 2012 and then onto Italy and Europe, England, Scotland and Ireland. We have set aside 6 months to complete our travels. At this point our schedule is flexible within the time frame. I have been trying to figure out a reasonable budget for two people who are willing to travel budget to mid-level only and use the rail as transportation. I have $6300.00 per month total to spend and nothing more. With a reserve of $7000.00. Can this be done? T

Posted by
9110 posts

No. Probably not. Doubtful. (pick one). The first thing is the vast distances, transportation costs are going to eat you alive. The second thing is that this is apparently your first trip, so you're going to want to spend time in the major cities, again, expensive. Plus, you'll want to see things that have entrance fees - - more money. The third thing is your use of 'mid-level' - - that ain't going to happen. I've posted repeatedly (ad nauseum) that we can travel anywhere in europe (except Scandanavia and Switzerland) indefinitely and never bust a two hundred buck a day average - - including transportation (except transatlantic). You can't come close. Between us we speak all the langugages and have no problem staying in areas that would give first-timers the willys. We also have a pretty good idea what things should cost, and don't cave in to the first thing that pops up - - you're not going to have any idea where to look or what the price should be. Also we drive, so we can stay on one side of, say, Granada, see what we need to see and be in another, cheaper village to spend the night - - you can't do this with public transportation. Also, we can get most breakfasts and lunches out of a big sack in the back of the car - - you can't do this either. Further, the sack gets filled at the big, outlying supermarkets, not the corner stores you'll come across. In addition to all of the above, the big cities and things that require entrance fees are in our distant past - - it would be odd if we spent more than ten percent of our time on any trip in one of the thirty largest cities in europe. I hope I'm wrong and you can pull it off. Somebody will bring up Schengen. To work around it, you're going to have to spend a good chunk of time in the UK - - not the least expensive area of the world.

Posted by
2775 posts

I think it's going to be VERY tough I would suggest taking different approach. Rent apartments for a month in 3 of 4 places. (And do check the visa rules. I know there is a 90 day limit, but I don't have a clue how that works as I have never gotten to stay that long :) If you get an apartment for a few grand a month which I think is doable in the "offseason" (think winter!) when renters have some vacancies, that would leave you $3000 or so for everything else. If you eat in your apartment a lot that's going to help, plus as Ed points out you can stock up on cheaper stuff. Then you can day trip places. Either way it's going to be tight. Not many resturant meals if you want train and sights. IMHO you need to stay south! Spain and Portugal were fairly inexpensive last year when I went. I think you have what they used to refer to as a "beer drinkers budget with champagne taste" You really are either going to have to lower you "comfort" level from "mid-level" to "low level" or upgrade your budget. It might just be better to plan a 3 month trip that you can afford to be comfortable with the arrangements.

Posted by
687 posts

You might want to spend some time over at Lonely Planet's thorntree, which attracts more budget travelers. LP and Rough Guides books may help too, and I assume you've read "Europe Through the Back Door"? You might also take a look at Ed Hasbrouck's "Practical Nomad". Renting apartments should definitely help, so might couchsurfing. Alas, sometimes budget flights are now cheaper than trains, although you have to watch the add-on costs like a hawk.

Posted by
32324 posts

Teresa, I may as well be the first one to mention the Schengen Accord. Under the Schengen Rules, you're allowed to stay 90-days in any 180-day period in the Schengen zone, which includes most of western Europe. Those who violate the rules can face severe fines and/or deportation from Europe for long periods of time. If you haven't considered this in your trip planning yet, it would be a VERY good idea to have a look at it. Severe fines will NOT be good for your budget! Based on the information I've seen so far, extensions to the 90-day rule are VERY rarely granted. It is possible to stay in one country longer (ie: France or Italy), however there are numerous "hoops" to jump through and you'd have to deal directly with the Embassy of each country. Good luck!

Posted by
23550 posts

6300 Euro would be abetter targart.

Posted by
9110 posts

'an apartment for a few grand a month' means you're stuck in one place. Zimmers, chambres, hostals, and budget hotels for fifty bucks a night lets you move around and the math is much better.

Posted by
9369 posts

$6300 a month is barely $200 a day for two people. And that amount is supposed to cover all lodging, meals, activities, transportation, and anything you might want/need to purchase. Without a lot of nonrefundable, nable booking ahead, I don't think there is any way that you can stay six months (even if you work out the plan so that you don't break any visa rules). Shortening your trip will make it much more affordable, and, ultimately, much more enjoyable.

Posted by
687 posts

Spending time in Eastern Europe will help with finances. For instance, for Hungary (not the cheapest Eastern European country) Lonely Planet suggests 50 euro/day per person in Budapest & 35 in the provinces staying in private rooms, using public transport and eating in medium-priced restaurants. For the Schengen problem, consider the Balkans, and Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine.

Posted by
33469 posts

It wasn't asked so I won't give unsolicited advice about visas, but if I did....

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for all the imput! We certainly need to shorten our stay, increase our monthly budget and put more into our reserve/emergency account. Might as well get started on spending the kids inheritence! Lol

Posted by
809 posts

Teresa, you might look into a house swap for part of your stay. Obviously if you could have free housing for a month or two it would keep your expenses down! I haven't done this yet but am definitely thinking about it when I retire in a few years... There are various networks; I belong to the Affordable Travel Club, which is primarily a hosting network but does have some house swaps. PM me for more information if you are interested in the ATC.