Please sign in to post.

Budapest to Amsterdam

We will do a 2015 river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. Need advice on a fun itinerary back to Amsterdam (other than flying back). Don't want a car. Suggestions??

Posted by
8299 posts

After recently taking the train from Budapest to Bratislava and from Vienna to Prague, I'd be looking for a flight to Amsterdam.

/
The budget European airlines don't fly to all cities and Budapest/Amsterdam is one of those routes with only one airline flying it--KLM.

I agree with James about flying open jaw from Budapest to your final destination.

Posted by
388 posts

I agree with both James and David. It depends on what you want to do after you reach Budapest. There is plenty to see on the way back to Amsterdam, but if you aren't planning on doing anything else, look for an open-jaw flight.

Posted by
14768 posts

Hi,

This is a route you can tailor which route you want to go. You can also go Budapest to Vienna on Railjet train, transfer to the ICE Wien Westbahnhof to Frankfurt Hbf., stay the night, take the early direct ICE Frankfurt to Amsterdam.

Or, if you want to night train option, there's Berlin to Amsterdam or Munich-Amsterdam. For this route take the RJ train Budapest Keleti to Munich Hbf. That's ca 7 hrs. After 19:00 take the CNL night train Munich to Amsterdam. Both these legs are direct.

Posted by
873 posts

I like the suggestion of going to Berlin and then on to Amsterdam, but I would suggest flying over a night train. Flights are cheap and, at least in my humble opinion, far less of a pain in the neck (figuratively and literally). Depending on how much time you have between Budapest and flying back home, you can add Prague and/or Vienna or Salzburg instead of going directly to Berlin.