Please sign in to post.

BRUXELLES UNTIL TUESDAY 2, NOVEMBER

STEVE, WE ARE LOOKING FOR A COUPLE OF THE BEST SEAFOOD RESTAURANTS IN BRUXELLES AND WILL BE THERE UNTIL TUESDAY AFTERNOON. I have a friend who lives there who usually eats in pubs but good one and he isn't much a seafood eater so I did a search and found you !! :) We'll be around the Center but don't want to get trapped in the tourist spots but want to eat really good seafood. My friend says to try the neighborhood St Katherine. Do you know of anything upscale, fresh, slow food mentality and delicious? I would be so grateful...
Also, any really good caffes with good espresso, my friend i Italian :-) thank you so much !!!

Posted by
32757 posts

merc from your post it appears you believe that Rick Steves (STEVE?) or his staff may participate in this Helpline. Just in case you missed the introduction, this Helpline is not operated by or viewed (as far as we know) by either him or his staff - we are all volunteers who sign up and contribute, much as you did. We are people who love travel and helping others. For myself, I can't afford "best". Have you looked at the suggestions in your guidebook? Which one are you using?

Posted by
6 posts

hey there, we have a budget to eat 2 times in a nice, slow food seafood restaurant. I have found a few places in the price range
but nothing that maybe open tonight or tomorrow, for some reason many places are closed all next week. a holiday yes but hope to find something. La Belle Maraîchère SEA GRILL RESTAURANT FRANCOIS CRUSTACÉS (LES) Marée Gourmande Toucan sur Mer L'Ecailler du Palais Royal (but i don't think we can really afford this one !! :) La Belle Maraîchèr

Posted by
12040 posts

I don't remember any of the names, but there's some good seafood restaurants around Place Sainte-Catherine. This used to be the seafood market of the city.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you very much ! There are so many so we are hoping for a tip from someone who has already eaten and loved it.
St Katherine is a wonderful tip and I thank you !

Posted by
32209 posts

merc, I don't recall how much seafood they had on the Menu, but you might try Aux Armes de Bruxelles. To find it, go part way through the Galeries St. Hubert and then make a left onto "restaurant row". It's only a short way down on the left. There are lots of other restaurants there (some with "nautical displays), so you may find something else that interests you. I haven't eaten there, but you may also try Bij den Boer which I believe is a seafood restaurant. They're located at Quai au Bois á Bruler/Brandhoutkaai 47. Regarding good espresso along with a fine Italian meal, you might try Osteria a l'Ombra. It's in an "alley" that leads from the T.I. office to the Grand Place. It took me a few minutes to find it, but the effort was worthwhile. The staff are fantastic and I sure enjoyed the food! Happy travels!

Posted by
32209 posts

merc, You're very welcome! Buon Appetito!

Posted by
4684 posts

From personal experience I can recommend Aux Armes de Bruxelles and Vincent in the rue des Bouchers area, which both have fish-heavy menus. They are quite pricey though. (Do NOT eat anywhere else on the rue des Bouchers.) But traditionally as others have said the area for fish is around the old quays in Sainte-Catherine.

Posted by
6 posts

Dear Ken and Philip !!! Thank you so very very much this is a great help ! I will suggest both. The espresso is a really good tip !!!
it's wonderful that both of you have been there and can describe your experience. That is what it's about and sharing and it is really appreciated !!! Thank you to everyone who took the time to care and reply !!!

Posted by
6 posts

Yes I forgot to say Ken, that a friend wrote back and said that Bij den Boer is a great place, he takes his guests there all the time so if you find yourself back in Bruxelles, you can be sure it's good !!! Thank you all once again for caring and sharing. I am on Chow Hound and someone wrote back, "I highly suggest NORDSEE...you can pull up to the place and have a nice glass of white wine too !!!" OMG !!! ;-P