Please sign in to post.

British Isles vs. France vs. Greece

Greetings all, my wife and I are excited about going on our second international trip but having a hard time deciding on a destination. Last year we spent 12 days in Italy and loved every second of it. This year we are trying to decide between spending 1 2 days in England, Ireland and Scotland or France or Greece. I know these three destinations are very different and would offer different experiences. We really enjoyed the lifestyle Italy had to offer, and love exploring. We are also big food and wine people as well.

We plan on going for two weeks in the middle of September.

I was curious to get some thoughts and feed back between our three different options.

Thanks for the help.

Posted by
528 posts

If I had this dilemma, I'd start with what I expected from my vacation. In my case, I want to go somewhere sunny, to sit outside in cafes and perhaps go swimming in a warm ocean. So, you figure out what would be perfect for you. Not sure if you are traveling independently or looking at a RS Tour?

Last year I took the RS Greece tour and I absolutely loved Greece. Ahead of time I was thinking that all the ancient tales and archeological sites weren't really my thing, but it was absolutely fascinating. The people were all very friendly and the weather when I went in September was 80's in the day, 70's at night. Perfect for me. There were some very good Greek wines, but the everyday "table" wine was a bit boring. The food was all fresh and delicious (especially if you love tomatoes, olives, feta). Only went to one island, but that is a wonderful aspect of Greece too.

France is gorgeous and has wonderful scenery and food and wine. Do you like art and churches? Do you like wine tasting and chateaux? or alps? a rocky beach in the South? There are so many parts of France and so many different things to do. A great dilemma to have.

I haven't been to the UK as an adult, only as a teen. Someday I'll go there again. Since wine and sun are my thing, I don't think of the UK. But, the scenery is lovely, (look at all those RS scrapbooks), lots of history!, and I think of beer more than wine, but I'm sure there must be wine too. And I'm sure the people are friendly (and they speak English).

Have fun with your research!

Posted by
6788 posts

Don't bundle "Ireland and Scotland" into a single "12 day" trip. There's plenty to see in each, so they deserve some dedicated time, just as the other countries you list.

Ordinarily, my default answer would be "France" but...one factor you didn't mention:
When exactly are you planning to take this trip?

Posted by
15576 posts

Greece is challenging to get around on public transportation. You don't say when you want to go. Greece in summer is very hot, yes, significantly more than Italy. In shoulder season, it's another story. Spring is lovely with wildflowers but the water is cold, so if you want beach time, fall is a better choice. You could combine a few days in Athens with either driving through the Peloponnese or flying/ferrying to a couple of islands. The ones on my list are Crete and Santorini. I loved the food in Greece. I'm not a beer drinker but in restaurants I ended up with water or beer because the average wines were not appealing. You can get some very good wines if you are knowledgeable (or find someone who is).

France would be my personal choice. Great food, great wine, charming villages, and Paris is the most wonderful city in the world. Where you go - besides Paris - depends on time of year and whether you will drive.

12 days for England, Ireland and Scotland sounds like spreading it too thin, unless you want to fly between cities and spend most of your time in them. Do you mean Northern Ireland (Belfast, Derry) or the Republic?

Posted by
4573 posts

...and certainly don't bundle, England, Ireland and Scotland into 12 days....unless you are doing a food and wine based tour. These countries are not well known for either ;-)
I would say France in September, but that is just a jumping off point.

Posted by
7330 posts

France is so big that we've broken up our trips into just a part at a time - Southern France (Provence), southwestern France (Bordeaux/Basque Country), south-central (Languedoc), central (Paris and/or Loire valley), east-of-Paris (Champagne region bike trip - really the way to see it!), north (Normandy), northwest (Brittany), Alps - ski trip. We haven't yet made it to the Alsace region in the northeast. And each of these regions would fill a 16-day trip on its own. France = wine, of course (but cider in the north is superb).

Greece is fabulous (we're heading to Crete for 2 weeks this fall), and this is a big generality, but if you've been to Italy, rather than another Mediterranean location, the British Isles would give you a greater change from your previous trip.

As said above, though, England, Scotland, AND Ireland is way too much to do right in 12 days. Go with just Ireland, or with England and/or Scotland. It's possible to go from London to Edinburgh by train or plane, and do a bit of Scotland along with some of England.

Irish food (especially seafood and lamb dishes) are wonderful. England and Scotland have wonderful options in the cities, but in much of the country we've found mostly pub grub to still be on offer (fish n' chips, sausages, etc. - hearty but not always exciting. Happy planning, and Happy Travels!

Posted by
6 posts

I forgot to put the dates, rookie mistake. We are looking on going two weeks in mid September.

Posted by
4573 posts

Well, France's grape harvest festivals run from late August to early October depending on the region....if that is of interest. I would certainly think that could fit your interests. Not sure what your Italy itinerary or travel speed was, but 4 or 5 days in Paris, then a week(ish) in a wine region (with a car) would be fabulous. The Dordogne is well reputed with regional BnBs or short let apartments in beautiful countryside (think Tuscany), but there are other regions where the same can be found. There will always be historical places and towns to visit and sitting in square over a glass of wine is never frowned upon.
Greece may still be overly warm and nowhere near as much air conditioning as in Florida. Tourism will be down some as the families will be back to school.
The Isles still has plenty to offer, but you would need to short list your interests and places to visit. As mentioned, each country has more than enough for 12 days, but you could do a 'taster' trip to see what you want to go back for.
So, you most likely can't go wrong with whatever decision, but without more than food and wine as interests, it's a little hard to recommend any further.

Posted by
1942 posts

I would start with what are your likes and dislikes. Do you love British movies or TV? Go explore London or the English countryside. Or have you seen yourself walking in Paris or visiting a chateau.

There must be something that interests you in the three countries. Start with that and then work up an itinerary. People here would be happy to help with more information.

Posted by
124 posts

James,
"We are also big food and wine people" - From your choices, sounds like France to me! Now what region; Loire, Alsace, Burgundy, another, it depends on your other interest?
Good luck with the planning!

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you to everyone for the input so far this has been really helpful. I really enjoy history, architecture, exploring towns and finding little shops and places to eat or relax. We really want to see the mountains, castles and spend time relaxing on the water. I know that is asking for a lot, but why not its vacation. I think my favorite part of Italy was the charming streets, towns and breathtaking views. Again thank you everyone, this is my first time posting so I am new to all this.

Posted by
7330 posts

Well then, how about Western Ireland? Fly in to Dublin or Shannon airport then head for Galway for a couple days, take a ferry or airplane to visit Inismor (Inishmore) in the Aran Islands off the west coast, then back on the mainland visit the Burren, stand 800 feet above the ocean at the top of the Cliffs of Moher, then keep heading south to the Dingle peninsula and Dingle town. History, mountains, water, charming towns and villages, music in pubs, all rolled into 12 great days and nights. Irish water isn’t necessarily relaxing (although if used to make Guinness maybe it can be), although there are some beaches, including some with basking seals, and a boat tour or two could be arranged. You’ll have a couple of castle visits possible on the west of the country, and some fine wine can still be had in Ireland, although it probably will have originated in France, Italy, Spain, or some place other than Ireland.

Posted by
15576 posts

I really enjoy history, architecture, exploring towns and finding little shops and places to eat or relax. We really want to see the mountains, castles and spend time relaxing on the water. I know that is asking for a lot, but why not its vacation. I think my favorite part of Italy was the charming streets, towns and breathtaking views.

That sounds more like Greece, especially the breathtaking views and beach time. You are almost guaranteed lots of sunshine. The food is very good. Lots of villages to explore. Consider the Peloponnese (with a car is best). All the coastal towns feel like being on an island.

Posted by
1321 posts

Food and wine - my pick would be Italy. Don't get me wrong I like France a lot and am currently considering moving there, but I found the wine and food in Italy more to my liking. We have been to most of the wine regions in France and Italy (heading to Champagne in 30 days). Italy isn't an option - France - I loved the wines in burgundy. We stayed in Beaune and biked all over the region. But I loved the region of Provence the best. For me the wines weren't my fav and the food was only ok not Paris for sure.

Greece in September would be great too - and I do love the food there.