Please sign in to post.

Breaking down 100 Euro bills

Hey everyone, I ordered some Euros which arrived today and they are all in 100€ denominations (very frustrating). Which type of place (in Amsterdam) would you recommend that could break them into something more practical? Would a bank likely be my only option? Thank you in advance for your experience!

Posted by
813 posts

You could buy a snack or phone card at the airport and tell them first you only have a 100E bill. Hopefully they'll be able to make the change for you.

Posted by
9100 posts

Never had a problem breaking a 100 Euro note in Amsterdam. Assuming that you will be flying into Sciphol Airport, break it at the airport train station when you purchase your train tickets to Centraal Station. If you will be purchasing an I'm Amsterdam city card, you can also break it at the airport tourist office. In the city center, the Albert Heijn supermarkets/convenience stores should be able to break them as well. Most all the major tourist attractions, can also handle a 100 euro note.

Posted by
951 posts

A few months back, I posted my 50 euro bill frustration that I encountered in Italy. Machines give you 50's and NOBODY wanted a bill that big. Restaurants, museums, vendors, grocery stores, you name it, they did not want it. The grocery store made us get out of line and buy more products.... Here is the link to my post of what people told me when you need to change your Euro bill in Europe, not necessarily before..... good luck Edit: oops, forgot the link http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/59168/what-is-the-easiest-way-to-change-your-atm-50-euro-bill.html

Posted by
8946 posts

Big bills are easier to cash after stores have been open for awhile, like large groceries, etc. Expecting the small neighborhood ice cream store or the kiosk guy selling a paper to have change at 0800 in the morning is a bit much. Think how hard it is to change big bills in the US? I have certainly had my $50's frowned upon in stores, let alone had my $100's just refused. I used to break large bills down in the banks, but this is becoming a problem too. Many banks are going to automatic money deposits and feeders with counters and can no longer break bills manually. At least that is the case in Germany. Not all places, but this looks like the trend.

Posted by
693 posts

It's too late for Rick but for anybody else interested: If you order Euros from your bank in the U.S. you can specify the denominations - get some tens and twenties to start out with and then break the larger bills over there with larger purchases.

Posted by
425 posts

Big bills can be useful. I came out of Logan airport in Boston with a handful of $100 bills from the bank there. The guy at the tunnel toll-booth gave me "the look" and just waved me through! :-) Roger

Posted by
19099 posts

I've never had a €100 note, but ATMs in Germany usually give the first €100 in small bills (5s, 10s, 20s) and the rest in €50 notes. I've never had a problem with using €50 notes, although I do admit I try to use the 50's for major items, like accommodations and save the change I get for smaller purchases. You'll have an easier time using a 50 for a €40 purchase than for a €2 purchase.

Posted by
3112 posts

Have you thought of asking the bank or agency that gave you the 100 euro notes to exchange some or all of them for smaller denominations? You might also inquire at one of the exchange windows at your departure or connecting airport, or upon arrival at Schiphol. Another option would be to save the large bills to pay for your hotel and get smaller bills for daily use from an ATM at Schiphol airport. If you need to break 100 euro notes as you go, my best success with larger bills is at my hotel (right after everyone departing that day has paid), when buying passes such as the inAmsterdam pass (as Michael suggested) or at a busy restaurant (but not for a small, inexpensive meal).

Posted by
73 posts

50€ should not be a problem in the Netherlands, except on buses and small shops, etc. At least I never had a problem and I use them regularly. 100€ could be more of a problem, as they are not used as much here - they are not available from ATM's, as far as I know (I never get them from the machines, not even on large withdrawals). In the airport, there should be a lot of places that could break a 100, though.

Posted by
9100 posts

The ATMs at Scihpol do dispense 100 euro notes. Last month I withdrew 500 euros and got all 100s. The flight arrived at 11pm which may explain it.....not many smaller bills left in the machine.

Posted by
873 posts

We paid for our accommodations in cash, so that's how we got rid of most of the big bills. I also asked our hostel in Berlin to break a couple of 100s and they did without problem.

Posted by
873 posts

We paid for our accommodations in cash, so that's how we got rid of most of the big bills. I also asked our hostel in Berlin to break a couple of 100s and they did without problem.

Posted by
517 posts

I laughed when I saw this one. The cash machines here in Vienna also like to spit out €100 bills. It is a much more "cash basis" society in Austria with a lot of places still not taking credit cards. Most places are able to crack the €100 notes. Although cab drivers and waitresses sometimes ask if I have something smaller. Anyway, all I'm saying is "I live here, and I have the same problem!"

Posted by
1317 posts

I was thrilled to find an ATM in Paris that gave me the option of getting a combination of 50s and 20s instead of all 50s. Too bad more of them don't... We ended up mostly using the 50€ bills for hotels and meals in Sicily and found the easiest way to get the ATMs to spit out smaller bills was to put in an odd amount like €310. Most people would accept 20€ notes at the very least, although I did have several cashiers request exact change. When I apologetically explained I didn't have anything smaller, they grumbled a little but counted out change for me. In any case, it never hurts to ask.