Please sign in to post.

Books

We would like suggestions for books to read before visiting Scandinavia, Berlin and St. Petersburg next year.

Posted by
9369 posts

What kind of books? Guidebooks, novels, history?

Posted by
4160 posts

Jill , two terrific books that will do much to give you a wonderful grounding for St. Petersburg ; " Nicholas and Alexandra " by Robert Massie ,a noted historian of Russian history ,this book is a wonderful overview of Russia during the reign of the last Czar ,Nicholas II . It is beautifully written and a great read. Also " The Land of the Firebird ; The Beauty of Old Russia " by Suzanne Massie ( Robert Massie's ex wife ) Words to describe this fine book evade me , but it is a must. The culture of old Russia comes alive in a way that will make you think you are there and experiencing it yourself ; the music ,art , literature , food ,daily life etc. Some of my favorite chapters : The Babylon of the Snows ; Ice Slides and Easter Eggs : Russia Celebrates ! ; Petipa and The Imperial Ballet ; Diaghilev and The Ballet Russes . I won't go on ,please read these wonderful books !

Posted by
12040 posts

Perhaps read up on some Scandinavian crime fiction. Stieg Larsson is well-known in the US, but I think the "Wallander" series by Henning Mankell and the "Beck" series by Sjöwall and Wahlöö are better reads. They give an interesting insight into modern Scandinavia... well, aside from the fact that corruption and depravity aren't quite as rampant in Sweden as the books may make the country seem. Both of the above series were made into a series of Swedish TV movies, and there's also a British adaptation of "Wallander" starring Kenneth Branagh (still takes place and filmed mostly in Sweden, though). And while we're on the subject of Scandinavian crime TV, you can check out why anyone who's seen the original Danish version of "The Killing" regards the crappy US remake with such contempt.

Posted by
567 posts

In case you meant Rick Steves guidebook recommendations....I would suggest the newly published Baltic Cruise guidebook which contains information on all three of your desired areas. For more deeper coverage you could buy the Scandinavia book and the Snapshot guides for Berlin and St. Petersburg.

Posted by
14770 posts

Jill, A guide book on Berlin? "Rough Guide: Berlin" to be sure. On the history of Berlin in the 20th century, the books fall into two categories: scholarly and popular history.

Posted by
5837 posts

Books to read before heading to Norway: J. A. Lees & W. J. Clutterbuck, "Three in Norway by Two of Them", first published London 1882, reissued Oslo: Andersen & Butenschon AS ISBN 82-7694-095-1. W. Cecil Slingsby, "Norway: The Northern Playground", Edinburgh 1905, reissued Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 2003 Ed., ISBN 1-904466-07-9. Paul Watkins, "The Fellowship of Ghosts, A Journey Through the Mountains of Norway". Washington DC: National Geographic, 2004, ISBN: 0-7923-6799-0.

Posted by
2758 posts

For Berlin -- In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. Takes place in Berlin in the 30s.

Posted by
5678 posts

I would also recommend Henning Mankelbooks and TV series from Sweden. Also check out Camilla Läckberg's books whose mysteries are also excellent. For Berlin there are many novels. Look for a Funeral in Berlin also Philip Kerr's books are also excellent. Pam

Posted by
5837 posts

While not a book, my favorite Norwegian film is "Salmer fra kjøkkenet", "Kitchen Stories" about a Swedish efficiency expert observing a Norwegian bachelor. Bent Hammer, director, circa 2003.

Posted by
658 posts

Lars Kepler writes awesome Swedish Crime fiction. The Hypnotist and The Nightmare were great.

Posted by
1326 posts

Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson and Astrid and Veronika by Linda Olsson. Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi.