Please sign in to post.

BOE 21 day (September 2019) helpful tips?

Hi, folks! I'm looking for advice. This will be my second RS tour. (My first was in 2018, the Paris and the Heart of France tour. . . FABULOUS tour, WONDERFUL guide Julie Sonveau, AMAZING travel companions. . . I'm hooked.) I'll be traveling solo again, and have paid the single supplement.

I've read enough of your comments to know that carrying a suitcase, as opposed to rolling a suitcase, will be in my future. While I own the RS expandable rolling suitcase, for this 21 day trip I'm going to TRY to make do with my RS rolling backpack. The rolling backpack is certainly smaller but my goal is to fit what I need -- as opposed to what I want -- into it so I can 'wear' it. I'm a huge fan of packing cubes, so those are a given. And I'm all over layering -- Precip rain jacket, fleece vest, packable LL Bean jacket, cashmere sweater(s), leggings, light weight pants, won't take shorts but will bring a travel skirt, etc. I'm wondering if any women have an opinion about wearing my (well broken in) waterproof Merrell low-profile hiking shoes as my primary pair? Also, maybe a pair of Teva sandals as the tour moves south? Also, what about tops? Do any of you have an opinion on number of, say, short-sleeved, long-sleeved tops? I'll welcome any advice offered :-) Thanks! Scottie

Posted by
13809 posts

I did this one as a solo and it was fabulous! I loved the group dynamic on this longer tour. You really get to know people and it’s a very supportive group.

This was actually the tour that convinced me to go from the RS convertible backpack to the smaller roller! Do take some kind of bag for a bus bag. It’s good for jacket, water, snacks, guide book, kindle, etc. You can also use this for an overnight bag for Venice and maybe Monterosso. It’s a pain to take a suitcase in to Venice as all the bridges are steps not ramps and the vaporetto from where the bus parks can be crowded. I just put clothes for 2 days into a cube along with minimal toiletries then popped it into my bus bag for those 2 nights, leaving my main bag stowed under the bus. Figure this out ahead of time. I generally wear the same shirt 3 days before I wash it so I left Reutte in a clean shirt and pants and packed a clean tee in my “go-cube” because you know if I didn’t have a clean one I would spill food?!? Sigh...I know this is TMI but I LOVED this tour and love to think about it and relive it!

Take advantage of any extras your guide might offer. Sometimes they’ll add in an optional dinner which you’ll pay for or perhaps in Switzerland they’ll offer to take whoever wants to go up the Schilthorn. Do it! Don’t actually look at the cost of gondolas in Switzerland, just spend the money and revel in the experience!

Are you going the first or last of Sept? Mine started maybe Aug 27 so it was still very hot in Italy. My go to shirts are Lands End cotton/modal tees which dry overnight. I usually take 4-5 short sleeve shirts.

I think you’ve got too many outer layers. I’d go with the Precip and maybe the fleece vest. I’d leave the LLBean jacket and the cashmere sweater. Even if you are at the end of Sept you’ll probably only need extra layers on your full day in Switzerland. Definitely take the Precip. It’s a great wind block as well as excellent in a down pour. You might consider a pr of light gloves-say the weight of glove liners. They can tuck into your jacket pocket and just ride there.

Up your walking and add in hills or stairs. The days in Amsterdam and Rome were 10-12 miles. The fitter you are the better your time will be!

Oh, you are going to have fun!!

Posted by
8934 posts

Hope I can be helpful here. You have 2 jackets and a vest. These 3 items take up space. Pick just one, like the rain jacket or use an umbrella instead.
I like long-sleeve permanent press blouses. They look nice, you can roll up the sleeves if it is hot and they are easy to take care of.
Jeans. Wear a pair, bring a pair. Always comfy, they look good with everything and you don't have to wash them every time you wear them.
Your Merrels sound perfect. I am not a sandal wearer no matter what the weather, but if you like them, then bring them.

A rolling suitcase is not a hindrance as far as I know. Though I don't mind wearing a backpack and have done so walking several Caminos, for the city, I find a rolling suitcase more practical. If I have to carry it, it doesn't weigh enough to be a burden going up and down stairs.

Posted by
985 posts

Scottie - it really depends on whether your tour begins early September or late September for shirt advice. You can get away with two pairs of pants or jeans, and wear each for a week before laundering as long as you don't get real sweaty or muddy somehow. This allows you to bring half a dozen shirts which opens up your wardrobe so you don't become bored with your choice of wear.

Our BOE 21 began something like Oct 10, and I packed 5 long sleeve shirts and one short sleeve. I never wore the short sleeve. For early Sept I might do it the other way around, or 4-2. You could always use your long sleeves shirt as layering if needed. I imagine you could do with the sweater, vest, and the precip jacket.

Your Merrell shoes should be fine. I wore Alegria Presidios and Alegria Bree shoes for our trip, although sandals still could have been worn part time on my tour. It did snow once and temps fell into the 30's and uncomfortably windy in Amsterdam, although we had just experienced almost two glorious weeks of temps in the high 60's low 70's every day while there.

So, my advice is best bet is be prepared for a change in case. Better to have the sweater AND vest along with precip jacket and not need all of it then have to spend valuable touring time trying to track down a location to purchase what you need. Yeah, people will tell you that Europe sells clothes too, but it may not be convenient timing or location for you to hunt them down and you may miss doing things to make that shopping happen. We lost about two hours of valuable time in Rothenburg when I had to break down to find a sweatshirt outside the city walls where I could find something affordable and not in a size tiny.

This is an awesome tour and you are going to have a GRAND time!

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for all the help! My tour is the latter part of Sept, from Sept 17-Oct 7. Can you all think of anything you didn't bring that you wish you had or, conversely, things you brought that you didn't use? Also, I can't remember where, but I read somewhere that a swim suit would be a good idea to bring on this particular tour. Now, I hadn't planned on allowing any space to a swim suit figuring if I wound up near that sort of experience I'd just wade in and not swim. Hv any of you an opinion on that?

Posted by
13809 posts

Swimming would be in Cinque Terre when you are staying at Monterosso al Mare. A few in our group did, but I’d only take up the space if you think this is something that would be vital to do. The times I’ve been in CT I enjoyed taking the train to the other towns but I’m not big on water stuff. YMMV!