Please sign in to post.

Blue Lagoon

I'll be Iceland for a tour this July. I have one day solo and am deciding if the Blue Lagoon is worth it. I know in the end it's a personal decision but wonder who if anyone has gone solo. I am thinking it may be kind of boring on my own. Im good on my own in museums and wandering cities. As well despite it being a highlight according to all the guide books people I know have said its over rated.

Posted by
7049 posts

Yup, it's worth it because it's fun and unique (it's probably a bit expensive now but I still think it's worthwhile). It's not the only geothermal pool in Iceland, but it's super photogenic. I love photography so it was worth it for me just from that angle. I don't think it's a big deal to do it solo. I suppose that relaxing can be boring...but it's relaxing, after all. Nothing wrong with that. It's a perfect pairing before your flight home or when you first arrive...the Flybus can take you there.

Posted by
12040 posts

With one day solo, it's worthwhile if you go early... otherwise, you'll spend too much time waiting to get in, because it has a limited capacity determined by locker availability. For example, I arrived just after opening and walked right in. By the time I left three hours later, the entrance queue stretched back almost to the parking lot.

Posted by
5562 posts

You can book a timeslot in advance and avoid a queue.

I found it very relaxing. I went for a couple of hours before my flight home as it is on the way to the airport.

Posted by
4161 posts

I thought it was well worth it.

Boring? I don't think so, especially after the current expansion and renovations. I'd love to go back to see the changes.

Relaxing? Oh, yeah. The hot water is amazing.

Fascinating? Definitely. It's enormous.

Overrated? No way. I can't imagine why anyone would say that.

Go on your own? Perfect. It's so big that you can be solitary if you want, but most anyone who is there enjoying the place will be very laid back and sociable.

You can get a massage while floating in the water. There's a sauna and a steam room. There's a nice cafe. And a shop where you can buy their fabulous products.

Explore their website for more information. Be sure to watch the video. A Google Images search will produce some enticing pictures as well.

Posted by
8957 posts

I think some of the horseback riding tours end up at the Blue Lagoon? That would be a fantastic combination of activities for Iceland.