Please sign in to post.

Blogging in Europe

I am decidedly non-technical but would like our friends back home to check-in with what I'm doing each day of my two-month trip. Does anyone out there know of an easy-to-set-up blog creator that I can use during my trip?

Posted by
2640 posts

I use facebook,,send daily updates go live when I want and also do videos on my I-pad and post them too.
You can set up a separate group just for the folk that may be interested in your travels

Posted by
2627 posts

I blog on Wordpress and find it pretty easy. It DOES require strong internet, especially to post pictures. Some hotels work just fine and some drive me nuts. Sometimes I write my blog and then go sit by the front desk to get a strong enough signal to input the pictures. Oftentimes the front desk will take pity on me and let me on there Admin wifi, which is usually faster.

Posted by
3941 posts

After my dear departed travelpod went boots up, I switched to Traveller's Point, which doesn't have a corresponding app, so I just make daily notes in my Note app, then fill in the details when we get home.

We had some couchsurfers stay with us who were using an app called journi - which I downloaded, but haven't had a chance to use on a trip yet.

I guess it depends on whether you want an app for a tablet, or are going to use a laptop...

Posted by
11362 posts

I have been using WordPress for 6 years and find it professional but easy to use. The online support is excellent.

Uploading of photos can be speeded up by exporting them to a smaller size than your camera or phone takes. Get them under 1 Mb and they upload much faster.

Posted by
8960 posts

Have been using blogspot for over 10 years. I was not tech savvy at all when I set up my first blog and I found it to be very easy to do.

Posted by
3241 posts

I use Weebly. Drag and drop, but does have a bit of a learning curve for us non-techies! I like it cause you can put in audio and video clips.

Posted by
277 posts

I've been using Blogspot.com since 2010. It's pretty easy to do. When we come home, I copy/paste it to a Shutterfly book. I love to write so if I stay up late blogging, I enjoy it. Without the blog, I think I'd forget some of what we've seen. So the blog is really more for us than for our family/friends.

Posted by
546 posts

I am in the process of building a blog site for my extended (4-5 month) trip to Europe. I am using Wordpress. It has a lot of functionality more than Blogger (by Google). However there is a big caveat about Wordpress. If you only want to spend a small amount you will get MUCH LESS functionality and they will try to push you to the business platform to get all the stuff you really should have to have an engaging and really full featured site.

But you can do just fine with the basic package if you want to keep it simple. (for instance no interactive maps etc)

And there was some good advice up stream...re-size your photos before uploading. it makes it much easier.