Please sign in to post.

bed bugs

does anyone have any tips to keep bed bugs from hitching a ride back home with us to the US from Spain and Portugal?

Posted by
9363 posts

You are assuming, of course, that you will encounter them, but more than likely you will not. There is no guaranteed way to prevent them, but if you are concerned, do not put clothing or suitcases on the floor. Use the luggage rack. Sprays, etc., that are supposed to help against bed bugs are not effective.

Posted by
2193 posts

You can also take a look at your hotel's reviews on tripadvisor. It's no guarantee, of course, but TA users will definitely post any experience with bed bugs there. If you see any mention of bed bugs, think about staying somewhere else. Otherwise, check the mattress seams while inspecting in between the mattress and box springs. I personally don't like the idea of manhandling a hotel mattress (who knows where it's been so to speak), but it's something people do when they're concerned about bed bugs. I agree that sprays, sleep sacks, and the like are a waste of money.

Posted by
12172 posts

As a precaution, my best tip is don't put your luggage on the bed or floor. Put your bags on top of the dresser, chair or shelf in the closet. If you do encounter bed bugs, they won't get in your luggage and move with you. Usually by the time people realize there are bed bugs, their luggage has been sitting on the floor for hours - long enough to become a hiding place for hitchhikers. That said, bedbugs aren't really common. You probably won't run into them.

Posted by
33123 posts

I have just risen from bed on my last morning of a trip. I have slept in Ibis Coquelles Moevenpick service area Hotel between Essen and Arnhem Moevenpick Hotel Oberursel (near Frankfurt) Hotel Hoerhof in Idstein in the Taunus Hotel Petrisberg in Trier
SuiteNovotel in Coquelles. All of which I got for a really good deal - all of which under €100 including brekkie and parking. No bedbugs or any hint of same. None.

Posted by
8994 posts

Lee is in a grave now???? Did I miss something? He was just compaining about spelling Frankfurt yesterday and Ryanair. I think many good hotels are putting bedbug proof covers on their mattresses, which probably helps control the spread of the bedbugs.