Please sign in to post.

Beach Safety

Hello, I will be traveling to Europe and want to go swimming when in Italy and Greece, but am concerned about the safety of my items. I will be traveling by myself and staying in hostels. I know that I can't leave my items on the beach while I am swimming, but are there any lockers that I could place my money belt in while swimming. If not is it safe to have my important information stored in my locked bag, while I plan to chain to my hostel bed. I want to be safe, but enjoy my time too. Thanks!

Posted by
12172 posts

I wouldn't count on lockers anywhere near the beach. If you can't leave things in your room, you will either need to take turns swimming/watching the stuff with a trusted friend or take them in the water with you. If you have to take them in the water. I like zip-lock bags. Put them in a bag, squeeze the extra air out, seal it - then put that bag inside another zip-lock, squeeze the air out and seal it. Two bags is usually enough to keep it from leaking. With the air squeezed out it shouldn't be too bulky.

Posted by
2193 posts

Personally, I would never leave anything important or of value in a bag in my room or unattended at the beach. Will the hostel have a safe you can use? Depending on where you're going, the train station may have lockers you can use. I'm thinking of Monterosso al Mare in the CT as an example. The station is practically right next to the beach...I just don't know if they have lockers there, because we didn't need one. We had the benefit of two travelers, so one of us would stay with the goods on the beach, while the other one took a dip. Then, we would switch off. There will be other Americans around...maybe you could connect with someone and they could watch your stuff briefly while you swim for a bit...perhaps a little risky still, but an idea that could work possibly (although I probably still wouldn't do it). And the idea of waterproof pouch definitely has merit....your money belt is pretty small after all.

Posted by
12172 posts

I should have said, "in your locker at the hostel." Hostels are great but notorious for petty theft. I've never stayed at a hostel that didn't provide a locker. Bring a good gym-style padlock to lock your stuff up - even for a brief trip down the hall to the bathroom - and you will have no problem. Some hostels do have a lock out time when they clean. If you're staying at a hostel where you have to leave during the day, they may offer lockers you can use while your out. If not, there are usually lockers at train stations for your bag.