Please sign in to post.

Bathrooms

On your my tour to Germany,Austria, and Switzerland is it possible not to share public bathrooms? Thank You
Marilyn

Posted by
2153 posts

Marilyn, I think your question is whether or not you will have to share a bathroom on a Rick Steves tour. I've taken 4 tours (including Germany, Austria & Switzerland) and never had to share. Hope this answers your question.

Posted by
175 posts

Do you mean in museums, palaces, etc. the restrooms (not bath rooms) are separate for male/female? If that is what you are asking - usually there are two separate facilities but where there are shared restrooms things are handled in a discrete manner and I do not think you would find yourself in an embarrassing
situation. At least I never have.

Posted by
23548 posts

Unisex public bathrooms are not uncommon and we generally find a couple every trip. The main activity always takes place behind locked doors - be sure to understand how to lock and unlock the doors. It is just the hand washing area that is common. Is that your question? Don't be shy. Remember this is an area with top-less beaches, pools, never get a second thought.

Posted by
19234 posts

You have posted on a community bulletin board of Rick Steves fans on the Rick Steves website, not the ETBD staff. For questions about Ricks tours, call 425-608-4217. In general, in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, rooms with en suite bathrooms are the norm today, but you can still find some places with the bathroom on the hall.

Posted by
32321 posts

Marilyn, I assume you're referring to the My Way: Germany, Austria & Switzerland in 12 Days tour? In my experience with seven RS tours (including one My Way tour), none of the hotels had the "shared bathroom down the hall". That sort of thing may have been been used in the past, but I suspect it's been quite a few years since RS tours used hotels like that. As Lee mentioned, your best source of information on the hotels used by that particular tour will be the RS tour office. You can also contact them by E-mail by using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page, and then look for the "Guided Tours" section. Cheers!